The voting system has many methods to detect improper votes, that is why it is required to be certified PRIOR to an election. Your comparison to Abrams and Beto make no sense applied to this race. width: 100% !important; .inner_percentage, .inner_percentage.Nonpartisan, .inner_percentage.Independent, .inner_percentage.Constitution, .inner_percentage.unknown { .outer_percentage { An entire article about voter turnout and no explanation about WHY turnout is lower in East San Jose? California Women's List, Bay Area Municipal Elections Committee (BAYMEC), San Jose Teacher's Association The FM3 poll of 674 likely San Jose voters polled in the last week of July showed Cindy Chavez leading slightly with 38% of the initial vote preference for mayor and Matt Mahan with 37%, with one-fourth of the polled voters undecided. What has happened is a PERMANENT DAMAGE to the economic system that WILL NEVER RECOVER. border: 1px solid #999; Received: 12,030, District 831% background-color: #f9f9f9; Either this is a crisis or not. Hard pass on Cindy. vertical-align: middle; padding-left: 16px; Dorsey Moore, Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority Board member Chavez isnt quitting yet. color: #fff; Weve had an edge in every count released so far, including mail-in and election day ballots, Mahan said. It is a shame that it is usually easy to see who Spotlight politically favors from its political journalism.. color: black; But their special-interest supporters combined have separately put what is believed to be a record $3.8 million into the race, either through independent expenditure committees formed to spend exclusively on this race, or general political action committees that serve business or labor organizations. That could give Mahan 6, 7, 8, 10 at least. The Labor Council PAC was behind the ads that blasted Mahan for enabling the NRA, but Chavez said its entirely fair. Rowan received her master's degree from the University of California, Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism. Thats three. $('.hideResponses').show(); 2023 Fortune Media IP Limited. You dont even need stamps to mail it back. margin-bottom: -2px !important; Click here to contact our editorial staff, and click here to report an error. Walters: Lawmakers eye changing rules governing ballot measures, Brooks: Joe Biden and the struggle for Americas soul, Abortion bans fail in conservative S. Carolina, Nebraska, Elias: Dumb decarceration idea may rear head elsewhere in California, U.S. Supreme Courts 2010 Citizens United v. FEC decision, 2006 scandal that consumed former Mayor Ron Gonzales in his final year, Harriette Cole: My friend's mom didn't recognize me at my job, and she was very rude. } Ballots mailed: 48,443 SEIU-USWW State legislature | And were here to provide it. Mahan also had an advantage with early mail-in ballots, with 61,088 votes. Chavezs potential defeat this year has remnants of the 2014 San Jose mayoral electionthe last time the city elected a new mayor. background-color: #6db24f; While San Jose's mayoral election is nonpartisan, the city has a history of electing Democrats and Democratic-leaning politicians to fill the mayoral position. Chavez received 60,080 early mail-in ballots. .widget-row.value-only.white { padding-left: 0; } .key-messages li {margin-bottom: 10px;} div.survey-scrollbox { height:400px; overflow:scroll; margin:20px; padding:10px; border:1px solid gray; } Alex Kennett, Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority Board member But Becker trimmed her lead a bit Sunday, to 439 votes, down from 451 on Saturday. Phone calls, texts, emails it was tooooooooooo much. As what just happened in Nevada, trying to pick your TEMPORAL point that occurred in the past, does not mean it is over. font-size: 12px; Midterms are known to have lower turnout without an exciting top-of-the-ticket presidential race to draw voters. The pundits are going to give lots of reasons why Cindy Chavez lost, without giving the TWO main reasons. }) .race_header.democratic { font-weight: bold; Play Video. Since 98.7 million People are infected as much as 30% may acquire a disabling condition, that can result in 29.8 Million Disabled, If we are lucky it will only be 10% but that results in 9.87 Million people not able to return to work. .results_text { width: 250px; }) $('.hideResponses').hide(); State executives | Chavez gains in the later vote-by-mail tallies have cut Mahans election night margin of 3.52 percentage points in half to 1.78 points. } } ..focus on writing about the truth whats happening in this oncee great city ..and making San jose CLEAN AND SAFE AGAIN .. display: block; $('.hideResponses').on('click', () => { History has proven that. } } $('#candidate-connection-email-131001').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-email'); });
   .contact_entity {font-size: 1.5em ;margin-top: 0.6em; margin-bottom: 0em;margin-right: 0.5em;} In any event, why not just wait until all votes are counted? He added the disparity in voter turnout between the east and west sides is not surprising for San Jose. 	background-color: #f9f9f9; While I dont agree with the NRA on most issues, Ill absolutely stand up for their freedom of speech on internet platforms.. 		margin-right: 10px; By Maggie Angst | Bay Area News Group. As someone that lives by Beryessa, I can only guess on a few reasons why. 		background-color: grey; $(".collapse-all").on('click', () => { Van Jones Speaks in Support of Cindy Chavez for Mayor. }) But as everyone here KNOWS each election form and electronic vote has a serial number assigned to a specific voter. WINNER. Voter turnout is detemined by many factors. Therefore I ordered administrators to begin preparations for an Oktoberfest 2022 without any restrictions or conditions, Reiter said. Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa (Photo by Sven Hoppe/picture alliance via Getty Images) Please stop quoting the stat  that voter turnout is higher when there is a big ticket election. Also, it is very easy to be against the establishment which Chavez is a part of. In my experience, when theres a gap like this, it doesnt usually change as more votes come in. 		background-color: #f9d334; Fauci says the general public somehow didnt get his messaging that the vulnerable are really, really heavily On Thursday, Lyfts new CEO laid off over 1,000 employees. Counties | Shannon Bushey is absolutely incompetent. 		font-size: 16px; Probably shouldnt have run such a negative campaign and bugged everybody to death.  Cindy the wicked witch of the west why havent I thought of that. .. MAHAN IS AHEAD. So annoying. 	color: white; Everyone ultimately will have to decide for themselves whether theyre in the mood for celebrating.. $('.showResponses').on('click', () => { div.oneoff-scrollbox.regular {  height:400px;  overflow:scroll;  margin:20px;  padding:10px;  border:1px solid gray; } San Jose is a majority Hispanic community. She lost  in the general election on November 8, 2022. Independent expenditures are playing an increasing role in campaign spending and were seeing that at all levels of government..  Two incumbents City Council members the 49ers also favored, Raj Chahal and Karen Hardy, maintained sizeable leads over re-election challengers, with 62.54% and 64.12% respectively. April 29, 2022, 10:21 AM PDT.  		display: inline-block; And Spotlights analysis is that the election traces back to neighborhood voter turnout patterns? } .widget-value { First, she reminds everyone of Hillary. I chuckled on the last part. 	font-weight: bold; They even created a non-profit for her to run so she could have a paycheck  Working Partners USA. With 90% of ballots counted by Tuesday afternoon, San Jose mayoral candidate Matt Mahan now leads opponent Cindy Chavez by 6,351 votes. Phone surveys just disturb people at dinnertime. 	.results_row td:first-child {  		text-align: left; And if not, then why not. Overall, Gillmor has 50.96% and Becker 49.04% of the 22,781 votes on her re-election bid. Contact Joseph Geha at [emailprotected] or @josephgeha16 on Twitter. .widget-row.Libertarian { 		text-align: center; Anyone (news organiztion) bother to question or ask why none of his fellow council members didnt back him? Meanwhile every few weeks Id get an email from Matt telling me that hes being attacked unfairly and then a reasonable answer to those attacks.  border:1px solid #FFB81F; 	margin-bottom: 0; https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/25/economy/long-covid-work. 37.2 Asian, 31% Hispanic according to U.S. Census July 1, 2021. p.survey-question {font-weight:bold;} 		text-align: center; p.survey-question {font-weight:bold;} 		margin-top: 16px; 	background-color: grey; $('.showResponses').on('click', () => { div.oneoff-scrollbox.short {  height:250px;  overflow:scroll;  margin:20px;  padding:10px;  border:1px solid gray; } Roughly 40% of the money, or $392,000, comes from the Santa Clara County Democratic Party in Sacramento and a Sacramento-based special interest group, "Neighbors Together Supporting Cindy Chavez for Mayor 2022." The union contributed $270,000 to the PAC itself. Ever since it was first held in 1810 to mark the wedding of the Wittelsbacher prince regent, Ludwig I, to his bride Therese, the festival has been cancelled only 26 times  mainly during times of war. The disparity is why advocates championed a measure to move San Joses mayoral elections to presidential years, promising at least 10,000 more ballots cast. They tout housing first while slow-walking permanent supportive affordable housing that takes 5 years to fund, permit, and build. It deserves respect, said Angela Inselkammer,president of the state association. This is your newsroom. 	margin: auto;                                       as well as other partner offers and accept our, Cindy Chavez's campaign; Matt Mahan's campaign; Insider. Visible signs for every candidate. 		.votebox { 	.image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { p.survey-response {white-space: pre-line;} div.survey-scrollbox {  height:400px;  overflow:scroll;  margin:20px;  padding:10px;  border:1px solid gray; } 	.inner_percentage.Democratic { Liccardo endorsed Mahan for mayor in August, tweeting that "Matt is the common-sense Democrat we need to ensure that our government works as hard as our San Jose families.". Cindy Chavez, Dev Davis, Matt Mahan and Raul Peralez (left to right) are running to become the next mayor of San Jose in the June 2022 primary race. Ballots mailed: 49,173 That referred to a 2006 scandal that consumed former Mayor Ron Gonzales in his final yearwhen he was indicted on charges of secretly brokering an $11 million deal with a trash hauling company to cover costs of a higher-paying union contract. 	} 	background-color: #f9d334; Chavez, a Santa Clara County supervisor, and Mahan, a San Jose city councilman, both say the campaign pieces targeting them were unfair. He added that regarding his relationship with Mayor Liccardo, different viewpoints on politics and policy will never stand in the way of our friendship.. Come see who is endorsing Cindy Chavez . The following candidates ran in the  primary for Mayor of San Jose on June 7, 2022. }. Harriet Blair Rowan is a Bay Area News Group data reporter for The Mercury News and East Bay Times. } | All donations are tax-deductible. background-color: white; Spending to support two San Jose mayoral candidates has reached a new height this primary election--as $1.1 million has gone toward supporting Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez. Its not majority Hispanic. 		font-size: 1.25em; See who is writing checks in a shadow campaign. How to run for office | 		color:white; 	} Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers' Association, Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), SAN JOSE POLICE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION The debate between the San Jose mayoral candidates is more than just business versus labor. 		font-size: 12px; Maybe because its also true though.. she hasnt really done anything in the last 20 years of public service or for public interest. 			width: 350px; Thank goodness we wont be getting cindy the wicked witch of the west again .widget-row {        .contact_entity {font-size: 1.0em ;margin-top: 0.6em; margin-bottom: 0em; margin-right: 0.5em;} Polls closed in the state at 8 p.m. local time, or 11 p.m. EST. NBA playoffs: When will the Warriors-Lakers series start? get over it.. And yah got  ..high tech santa clara and calif cant even get ballots counted these days in timely matter ?  And for the first time, she leads in total vote by mail ballots over Mahan. NO ONE is gonna cause violence over the mayoral election. 		display: inline-block; 		font-size: 2em; font-size: .9em; 	background-color: green; In Districts 6, 9 and 10 which encompass Willow Glen, Cambrian and Almaden and Blossom Valley, the turnout is 38%, according to PDI. 	.votebox-scroll-container { Bavaria state Governor Markus Sder tweeted he was already looking forward to downing his firstMass, the traditional liter-size mug of beer, when Oktoberfest opens its doors on September 17. .large-date { text-align: center; margin-top: 30px; margin-bottom: 20px; font-size: 20px; font-weight: 600;} Cindy Chavez did not complete Ballotpedia's 2022 Candidate Connection survey. Wont break my heart if she loses. | In fact FAKE reports of votes being intentionally dropped in Santa Cruz has turned out to be VERY inaccurate. Special interest groups spent $3.4 million to support Chavez and $1.7 million to support Mahan. His campaign has raised more than $1.4 million this year. Neighbors for a Diverse Community Supporting Cindy Chavez for Mayor 2022 has raised $75,000from state Assemblyman Evan Low, an Asian and Pacific Islander Leadership group and a nurses union. San Jose Together Supporting Cindy Chavez for Mayor 2022, formed by Guardino, has raised $499,500 from developers, executives, unions and others. Youre wrong. Titles and Organizations for Identification Purposes Only. 		letter-spacing: 0.03em; A native of New Orleans, he grew up near San Jose. I did vote for her early, but became really disappointed in her with the negative ads, too. Selling this city is the status quo and that was brought on by our former mayorwe certainly dont need this to continue. There are legislative tools to help with that now, especially with the mentally ill.  For others, enforce the laws on the books to get them out of the creeks and parks and streets and into a tiny apartment. Every Child in San Jos Now Has Access to Health Insurance Cindy pushed for the Children's Health Initiative so every child in San Jose has health insurance. 	width: 250px; Cindy Chavez is Endorsed by Our Community Leaders & Organizations.  Nobody want FOOTBALL CINDY to run their town! It seems people are always super cynical about local politicians in general and always more hostile toward the women in politics. You keep acting like negative comments will absolutely be connected to violence. Comments are moderated and approved by administrators. According to county data, voters cast 10,406 ballots for Mahan on Tuesdaycompared to 6,648 votes for Chavez. All over South SJ for sure. Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. } 	} Yes there are many votes to be processed. 				overflow-y: hidden; I remember the poor woman being accosted at her home for just doing her job. 		background-color: #f4f4f4; She assumed office in 2013. I believe its called apathy or people being apathetic. ul.key-messages {list-style-type: none; margin-left:10px; } 	text-align: center; Received: 14,930, District 328% (A new Mayor isnt going to fix San Jose, never has. Chavez is a member of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, an office she's held since 2013, and is campaigning on addressing the city's homelessness and affordable housing crises. Source. 		padding-top: 3px; 	} 		} 	} 	.mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h5.votebox-header-election-type { 				max-height: 580px; Mahan brings real hope for this city. Trust me. The considerable support from outside groups has drawn questions, including at a debate last week. 			} Cindy is their go to gal. In the June primary, Chavez flipped west side districts won by Liccardo eight years ago, such as in downtown, South Willow Glen in District 6 and Stevens Creek in District 1. Ballots were in my mail box on Oct 12. There were no incumbents in this race. 	} Terms & Conditions. I felt like she abused her access to emails. 	} Peter Ortiz continues to lead Nora Campos in the open race for the District 5 seat that Campos formerly occupied, 54.33% to 45.67%. This page was last updated during the official's most recent election or appointment. Asked about the 49ers substantial support for her, Chavez said she would not have run again had I not had a broad section of the community supporting me., She added: Ive been in public office for a long time, and youd be hard-pressed to find that my decisions have been impacted by outside resources Ive received., Mahan has said his campaign is much more grassroots and that the majority of special interest money has gone in for my opponent. He said interests like the 49ers dont invest over $700,000 in a politician like Chavez without expecting something in return. Regarding those backing him, he added that the system is broken  if I had my way thered be no outside spending, but ultimately, thats a Supreme Court decision.. You keep adding to your argument about points that I want even considering. 		font-weight: 300; Update the article with this key missing piece of information (poor people is not a valid reason). The lose is claiming that votes are being double counted. 	} I cannot personally imagine happily enjoying festival atmosphere while in Ukraine, in our partner city of Kyiv, people are dying every day in an inhumane war not even two and half hours away by air, Reiter said. The amount of Mahan, a member of the San Jose City Council, is similarly running with a goal to lower housing prices in the city, housing the homeless, and "common sense solutions" for citywide safety. 	width: 57%; Federal courts | Ballots mailed: 51,393 If you are a candidate and would like to tell readers and voters more about why they should vote for you. Cindy Chavez, a San Jose mayoral candidate, speaks to supporters at her election night party in Willow Glen. But the candidates werent the ones responsible for the mailers. Paraphrasing one line from the article, Those [East SJ] voters are more likely to cast ballots for more progressive candidates like Chavez. LiUNA 270 SEIU-UHW I wanted Cindy to step up but in the end voted for Mahan.She hasnt accomplished anything, Agreed Jose.I was hoping Cindy would step up and accomplish something!In the end I voted for Mahan. Mudslinging is telling lies about another, and has been the specialty of the South Bay Labor Council since Cindy was its executive director. They would have to fill D8 as well if Sylvia coasts into the Supe seat which looks likely. The numbers arriving to Munich, mainly from the Hungarian border via Vienna, are now increasing as are the number of volunteers at the station. No other festival better stands for a cosmopolitan attitude and the zest for life than the Munich Oktoberfest. .widget-row.value-only.black { Only about 170,000 ballots were sent out and Busheys Bumblers cant count them in less than a week, while the entire state of Florida had over 7 MILLION counted within five hours after the polls closed. Thats because everybodyCOVID positive or notis invited to attenddespite his better judgement. I dont care how much the ACLU and others crow otherwise. I only hope that the (epidemiological) situation doesnt escalate in autumn such that federal and state governments flip-flop and cancel the Oktoberfest at the last moment.. 	.mw-body #mw-content-text th.votebox-results-cell--text { Chavez   ran for election for Mayor of San Jose in California. Ballots can be mailed in, they are postmarked. 		margin-bottom: 0px; 			.results_table_container { 		padding-bottom: 3px; So Im not sure why you are making it sound like we are STILL in 2020-21 years. Opinion: How could the As ungrateful owner do this to us? 		margin-bottom: .75em; clearInterval(nTimer); If you want to support your candidates better then tell them the hard truths they need to hear and do not coddle them with comforting made up excuses. San Jose is 38% Asian. 	} Ballots mailed: 56,491 $('.hideResponses').on('click', () => { 	.results_row td {  Liccardo and Mahan..both cut from the SAME cloth! Liccardos narrow win was secured by a resounding victory in West San Jose, a more affluent area of the city with higher voter turnout historically.  		background-color: #ccc; 	color: white; })     	} Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy | CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice| Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information| Ad Choices  Cabinet Secretary, Former Member of Congress & Former Mayor of San Jose, Former Mountain View Mayor & Councilmember, Former SCC Supervisor, Former Palo Alto  Mayor & Councilmember, Mike Potter, Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority, Board member, Helen Chapman, Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority Board member .hideResponses { display: none;} These people are not counted in employment rates. Jacky Morales-Ferrand should get out now while the getting is good. And I am scared that if the votes do end up making Cindy the winner, given what we saw in 2020 election, I think all you know what will break loose in Santa Clara. Sunnyvale Mayor Larry Klein, Cupertino Mayor Darcy Paul But given that will involve Nuclear Weapons, that will do even more PERMANENT DAMAGE. 	.inner_percentage.Green { 	} The 2022 San Jose mayoral election was held on November 8, 2022 to elect the next mayor of San Jose for a two-year term. Looks like Football Cindys campaign staff has abandoned the comment section of Spotlight. 		position: relative; Those are voters likely to cast ballots for more progressive candidates like Chavez. 		overflow-y: hidden; 		overflow: hidden; Since the working population in the US is about 154 million that means we permanently lost 6.4% of the working population. Received: 12,085, District 431% Please provide some kind of medical research to demonstrate your opinion. 	} Meanwhile I got maybe 3 calls per week from Cindy Chavez begging me to vote for her going all the way back to February. I definitely did not make this decision lightly, Mayor Dieter Reiter told reporters on Friday. Silicon Valley Biz PAChas kicked in $92,000. 

. background: #4c4c4c; Photo by Jana Kadah. We are still under a State of Emergency. Hospital levels have been stable for months (years?). Its funny how some of you think Matt will bring some kind of change? } .external_links_table { width: auto !important; } a.communitylink { color:black; font-weight:bold; } width: 100%; How to vote | Typically Munich . .expand-all:hover, .collapse-all:hover {cursor: pointer; text-decoration: underline;} width: 50%; top: 0px; Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez took the lead in San Jos's mayoral primary Tuesday, easily advancing to the November runoff, where she will face City Councilmember Matt Mahan for the top job in America's 10th-largest city. Cities | Supervisor Chavez was a primary architect of Santa Clara County's groundbreaking $950 million affordable housing bond which was approved by two-thirds of the voters in November 2016. background-color: #6db24f; As of election week, there were roughly 356,071 outstanding ballots in San Jose, though it's highly unlikely all of them will be returned. Mahan, a first-term councilman representing the citys southwest District 10, has raised nearly $1.6 million so far for his campaign, a little more than the $1.4 million that Chavez, who served as a downtown district councilwoman and vice mayor from 1999-2006, has collected. Well still be paying those down for the next 10 years. Either way, IF Matt becomes Mayor its the shortest term ever. Long time political hack and shill for Big Labour. As of election week, there were roughly 356,071 outstanding ballots in San Jose, though its highly unlikely all of them will be returned. Also, at least in my area, we seem to treat the pandemic as basically over. Received: 11,617, District 638% With a few tiny homes and motel conversions tossed in to make themselves feel better. } color: white; a.communitylink { color:black; font-weight:bold; } Spotlight reported a fact. So that is NOT going to happen. U.S. President | If she was supposed to be better for the eastside than Mahan then she sure did a terrible job in convincing everyone on the eastside. Voting is convenient. overflow-x: scroll; Elections 2022 She assumed office in 2013. display: block; Citizens for Cindy Chavez Mayor 2022, formed by the 49ers and its ownership, has raised $763,464. Received: 16,957, District 229% Supervisor Chavez was an architect of Measure A, a voter-approved bond that's allocating $950 million to affordable housing -- with 4,400 homes built or in the construction pipeline. Thats still the governors job. Granted a backlog at the registrars office could cause a little indigestion on the back end. display: inline-block; padding-left: 0; Too much WHAT ABOUTISM here, and making assumptions without any evidence here. Why does Spotlight not strive for less biased journalism and have editorial pieces that are billed as editorials? Gina Zari, government affairs director for the Santa Clara County Association of Realtors, said the ads raised legitimate questions about what Chavez knew about the deal given her position and said her group opposes Chavez because she wasnt responsive to their efforts to meet with her, which Chavez disputes. Incumbent Cindy Chavez won election outright against Jennifer Celaya and Anthony Macias in the primary for Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors District 2 on March 3, 2020. A native of New Orleans, he grew up near San Jose. We will see if denying Chavez yet again wil not come back to bite us. ul.key-messages {list-style-type: none; margin-left:10px; } Disparity? $('#candidate-connection-twitter-131001').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-twitter'); }); Dear Abby: I have a great life, so why have I fallen into this shameful behavior?