Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual I am worried that the Sf-86 with mistakes could hurt me on the next investigation. Heres what the NISPOM says about it: 2-205. For instance, a one-time credit mistake might not be an issue, but a decades-long pattern of financial trouble can be problematic. His lawyer appears to have abandoned the case. Current, ongoing use of an illegal drug will automatically disqualify you. Add one to two months for adjudication. WebFitness: Fitness refers to the adjudicative decision made on excepted service, contractor, and other federal personnel working for or on behalf of the federal government. I am an officer in the Army with a secret clearance. asked if I wanted his help. They want to ensure that youre loyal to the U.S. and that theres nothing youll do to deliberately compromise the protected freight youll be hauling. Act like its in person. Do you know what issue codes these are and whether or not they would be considered a pattern? Heres another empty thread to post in. of Veterans Affairs , the Dept. So what the hell happened here? Thanks in advance. She asked that I bring a copy of my discharge letter and a listing of all the creditors involved in the bankruptcy. RightSo, I have already submitted the new SF-86 as the initial requirements dictated addressing the incident that may or may not be an issue. Any job that would not need college degree to do but make average income. William, Boy, what a confusing subject! According to the current OMB policy your collateral TS clearance with DoS should be readily transferrable to DoD. Q2: Meaning of Intention in Contract Law An FBI ID and technical fingerprint search must be done as part of the NAC for an interim TS clearance regardless of who does the clearance investigation. I dont think you have anything to worry about. but he alone was in like 2,500 for debt. This is one issue only on my lifes record. Perhaps it is all hard to say. Or do I sell it as Im already in adjudication its only a short matter of time and Im confident it will go through??? I wanted to. Or call the supervisor. MORE: Check your VA home loan eligibility with todays top lenders, The guidelines define the whole person concept as an examination of a sufficient period and a careful weighing of a number of variables of an individuals life to make an affirmative determination that the individual is an acceptable security risk.. It takes about one month after the submission of fingerprint cards for the NAC to be completed. As if the DS clearance means nothing. I dont know how to answer the question regarding unfavorable circumstances. Generally a single DUI arrest without any history of excessive alcohol use or other misconduct will not result in a clearance denial. Absent any other complicating factors, I still think your chances getting a favorable adjudication for a High-Risk Public Trust position are good. Thanks again. If you were given a file that was classified at a higher level than your clearance or given a classified file that you did not have the requisite need-to-know, the primary responsibility rests with the person who gave you the file. Yes, your completed investigation can be used by another government agency to determine your eligibility for a security clearance. Ive since been told it will be 3-6 months. I have had some debt to be 150 days late, but are satisfied now. 2. Do you have a trusted team member thatll drive alongside you as you haul this protected freight? Lindy Kyzer is the director of content at ClearanceJobs.com. I am not sure about the different types of interims. Foreign travel as a military spouse is inconsequential. Brought to you by ClearanceJobs.com. In this case the company would not be told why the interim clearance was not granted. As an applicant, you will be required to provide information regarding your former spouses, former colleagues, old home addresses that have been long forgotten, home loans, vehicle ownership, medical bills, other debts, as well as other highly detailed personal data. Secondly, the threshold for denying an interim clearance is much lower than for a final clearance. The question I have is what does the process look like now : 1) what is left to do to grant a clearance if my prior investigation was adequate? 2) Will they simply do a small investigation to look into the year since I left Federal employment until now? Unfortunately with the real estate market what it is we have not been able to sell the home. I think you will find that your situation is not as bad as you may think. According to Guideline A, a potential mitigating circumstance is if you were unaware of your friends involvement in activities against the United States. Do you see any problem for me getting an interim and actually getting the secret clearance? Part A Many contractors offer jobs contingent on receiving a security clearance. I am almost ready to jump ship becasue i hate to pass on other good jobs while standing on the fence for this gig. Tommy: Upon successful completion of treatment the charges were dismissed. All of which meet the investigative requirements for a Secret clearance. If youve recently acquired an asset or cash but have no supporting documentation, you may also be denied security clearance. I have been offered a job by a DOD contracting company that requires a secret clearance. So even if you arent involved in those activities, adjudicators could disqualify you from holding a security clearance if your friend is. Some military members and DOD employees lost their clearances for more than one of these reasons, Bentley said. Because of the reasons for the potential bankruptcy, your husband will probably be able to later show that the bankruptcy was a reasonable, responsible course of action under the circumstances and therefore ultimately be able to keep his clearance. Pre-employment Clearance Action. Hi, I will let my security officer know when my mortgage get behind. Should I ask to be clarified before accepting this offer as I am currently working for another company for a contract of 6 months and do not want to waste that chance. Click on my name above and navigate to the resources page under about security clearances. Look at the DNI ICPM 2006-700-5 and the three OMB Memos on reciprocity. IF I unfortunately cannot and my house forecloses am I kissing my clearance goodbye? Its a good idea to review the SF-86 guide from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to check out tips and common errors. Kris: I worked with a non-DOD govt agency and had a TS clearance with them. During a security clearance screening, the people doing the background check must determine if the applicants questionable patterns are life-long habits, the result of circumstances, or other issues. 1. The executive orders and guidelines are clear that every individual denied a security clearance has a right to appeal the denial. The officer reviewing your application will try to determine if you have any ties to another country. Do you think I will never get a clearance? The psychologis said the Agency was concerned about my alcoholism (been sober for 7 years) and my past issues with depression. It is a trigger for certain investigative requirements. You can find links to both documents at my website. Clearance investigators use this document to begin your background investigation. If you need to provide clarification on a particular section, there is a comment section where you can add notes. 2) Your references will only be interviewed once. If an applicants financial problems were largely beyond his control and he handled them in a reasonable manner, including bankruptcy, the significance of the security issue is substantially reduced. What you didnt say about the incident was whether you were given the file and whether it was classifed at a level higher than your clearance. The LACs will probably be done about the same time the SPIN is complete. I along with 6 coworkers was fired and not given a copy of the policy at the time of firing. If you and your husband choose to petition for bankruptcy, it is something that he is obligated to report to his security officer. I figured my investigator would be sharp so I took time out to tab, highlight and make notes to avoid looking unprepared. My mortgage is about to adjust to well over $3k a month. You are fortunate to have received an interim Secret clearance. One of the main reasons many applicants are denied interim clearances but granted final clearances is because applicants fail to list mitigating factors applicable to their potentially disqualifying condition on their security clearance application. WebFBI Eligibility. If there were any payments due and were incurred by me and if I had been told, I would have made them in a timely manner as I always had. Editorial Disclosure: Editorial content on Veteran.com may include opinions. There is a date for when the investigation was completed (Closed Completed) and forwarded to adjudication and a date the case was assigned to an adjudicator (Adjudication Pending). Aaron joined the ATS team as the specialty freight manager. JPAS has links to SII and DCII (Defense Clearance and Investigative Index) and most but not all of the cases in SII and DCII have migrated into JPAS. Elizabeth, Im currently a college sophomore applying for a clearance for an internship in the summer of 2009. You will fill out an SF-86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions to provide this information. Eight to ten weeks is possible, but a little optimistic8 to 16 weeks is a safer guess. Most of the common mistakes include incomplete or blank sections or contradictory information. Drug and alcohol abuse impairs judgment and can be another reason for disqualification. For some re-applicants, the renewal process can be just as challenging or even more difficult than the initial application. It sounds as if your past involvement with illegal drugs has been sufficiently mitigated by your actions and your intent not to use drugs in the future. I just turned in my paperwork for a interim for a Secret. If you'd like to learn more about the DOD freight ATS drivers haul, contact a recruiter today. In 2000 she accused me of molesting our daughter. My first questions is why is it taking so long for them to re-adjudicate? I am filing chapter 13 and working to pay down my debt. Security clearance applicants must undergo a background check and screening process. They have dedicated their careers to learning the entire security clearance process from start to finish. However, recently I did happen to enter a room where people were using drugs, and upon discovering the drug use, left thereafter. Who can she contact to get a real answer? You were lucky. Deshone: For contractors the minimum investigation for a Public Trust position is a NAC plus Credit. This is the extent of my derog. A NAC will be conducted on the new spouse or cohabitant. Your situation is different than most people who can seek a clearance based on a previous investigation. From 1999 to 2003 I went through what can only be called the Divorce from You-Know-Where. But, the interviewer then asked me about relationships in the past; we talked about my last boyfriend who borrowed a large sum of money from me, and refuses to pay me back. The adjudicative guidelines include an examination of the following elements: - ability to handle protected information; Be aware that there are 3 standard levels of security clearance Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret that you might seek to qualify for, depending on your reason for the security clearance. This new employer claimed that my clearance was transfered over, and this was reflected on my badge. The guides will also explain common errors people make that get their applications rejected. I did not use any of my security clearances (ts/sbi) and let them lapse. Outside of requiring American citizenship, there is only one thing that is an His lawsuit was served on me while I held my previous clearance. Robin, Another thing to consider. There are due process rights for people whose clearances have been denied. what can he or we do? Thank you for answering these questions. It sounds like the secret interim is hard to get. Elements and Terms of a Valid Contract The criteria for employment suitability is more restrictive than for a security clearance. Does anyone know of anyone with an interim that had some finacial problems. When you reapply, you should ensure that the potential issues that may have prevented you from being hired the first go around have been resolved. If they want to speak by, I routinely suggest and ask the Subject if they can have a supervisor and/or coworker come in the same day that we meet for the ESI. Toward the end of my Term job, while in the field, I was informally accused of a security violation for requesting a single file I did not have the official right to see (I had Sup approval, but she denies the conversation) and sent back to the home office. In general, US citizenship is a strict requirement. I was contacted today by an investigator to setup a meeting to discuss my bankrupcy case. I recommend you avoid any job that requires SCI eligibility until you get some answers about what previously happen. So, they will focus more on drinking and driving (the conduct) rather than conviction and sentence (outcome). You must also disclose aspects of your financial situation, including foreign assets, debt and credit history. granted/denied). Why did you submit both forms? It is also not an issue. First, they can indicate personal irresponsibility, which may raise questions about your ability to safeguard national security information. I wasnt asked why I didnt list them but I did state that I have no contact and/or affliation with them (oversight, discrepant, issue?). According to DCSAs appeal page, contractors, employees and military members have a right to appeal a security clearance denial or revocation. No debt whatsoever. My husband currently works for DHS and holds a TS/SCI clearance. When filling out the form, I assumed it meant debts originating within the last 7 years. Passage of time is the most common mitigating factor for any misconduct and the length of time necessary to mitigate a problem is less for young people than it is for older people. Ryan: Its difficult to know exactly what disqualifies a driver from receiving security clearance outside of financial problems or drug use, but this guide will help you understand some problem areas. Some popularized blogs point at drugs and alcohol as an automatic disqualifier, and while substance abuse is a factor examined during the background check, it is not the most common disqualifier. Certain things will exclude you automatically from receiving any kind of security clearance in the U.S. Im nearly 2.5 years into a contractor clearance, TS-SCI level. I was just awarded my interim secret clearance. The trucks and technology have changed along the way, but the mission has remained the same since the start supporting our warfighters in every way possible. Will this inhibit me from getting a clearance? However, financial considerations represented the top reason for security clearance denials from 2019 to 2022, according to Bentley. Tuan, My fso checked my status and told me it is still in adjudication. Good luck. An interim Secret clearance can be granted by the government agency requesting your investigation based on a favorable review for your security clearance application form (eQIP or SF86).. JPAS is in bad shape. Also, does the investigation continue to go on as work? I am planning on filing chapter 13 and getting my stuff cleared up. Now the gave me the offer and never discussed the fact that I am not a citizen ( I am actually on work permit for OPT which will require a H1B visa sponsorship). Thank you very much. I have a question similar to Bills. I was initially denied the interim secret clearance (figured I would be) because I filed chapter 7 bankrupt shortly after Hurricane Katrina. No one can give you a good opinion regarding your chances for a clearance without knowing all the possible mitigating conditions. Chick, If I choose to seek a new job in the government arena again, is my clearance still considered active (and for how long), inactive, or have I relinquished it altogether? When I started the process, I really wanted the federal job but the clearance process is taking such a long time that my situation has changed. If you have already requested a hearing, it should mean that you have already submitted a rebuttal to the SOR. You do have the adequate level of investigation, so a new one wont be necessary if your position requires a Secret clearance.. I hope that I will get the clearance before then. THANK YOU for any clue or perspective! Im not the person to ask about job hunting strategy, because I worked for the federal government for 30 years (investigations/intelligence not HR). Youll also need to enter information about past spouses and people you may cohabitate with. I live here in Va. Is she able to check clearance status of someone who lives out here in VA? You were not required to list the final warning at work due to a scheduling conflict and/or personality conflict on your SF86, but again this is the type of information an investigator normal asks about during an interview. Does anyone know will this history prevent me from obtaining this lower level clearance? Stayed in hotels near airports in these countries for one to three days on each trip., You need to answer yes to the bankruptcy petition question and explain in the comment section that you abandoned the petition. I currently rent a room from a Chinese citizen who is married to a US Citizen and is working toward her citizenship, I did put down that I have regular contact with her. Just before Christmas I spoke with my FSO and she said that my file had moved beyond polys [was there forever!] I was never alerted by the creditor or my previous company that any payments were outstanding. Bvaro-Punta Cana, 23302. Tommy financial issues are one of the primary causes for being denied a clearance. Am thinking of going overseas in Asia countries. The only reason I can think of for readjudicating an SSBI is when the original clearance did not involve SCI eligibility and the new one does. If someone at the adjudicators office goes to update your JPAS to show that your clearance was granted and sees that your employment was terminated, they will enter loss of jurisdiction instead of the clearance. If I have bad credit will they give me a chance to explain or just deny it? 1) Im currently awaiting the suitability of Trust for DHS. For more information, check the federal guidelines before applying for your security clearance or appealing a decision. If you disclosed the criminal charge during you prior investigation, the civil lawsuit probably wont cause any problem since it will be viewed as a financial matter. Reciprocity of SCI/SAP is more complicated. so I guess I should go ahead and start looking for another job? Can someone please elaborate on exactly what is meant here by ability to obtain?. Gambling problems or financial trouble because of drugs is especially problematic. I currently have a Secret Clearance, and I am looking at a job that is requiring a Public Trust. Please help! In fact the credit report that becomes part of your security clearance investigation does not have a FICO score. You said: After that the case is reviewed for completeness, then sent to the adjudicator.. You will be questioned about the reason for your bankruptcy and possibly your activities (as they relate to personal finances) before, during and after the backruptcy. After a two-year break in service everyone (contractor, military, and federal employee) must start from scratch regardless of clearance level.