This just magnifies how gracious the Lord is, and how much He loves every single one of us, whoever we are! Back in the days of Hoshea, the Samaritans abandoned the faith. Nicodemus and the unnamed Samaritan woman are as different as they could be. "The Woman at the Well Bible Story Study Guide." But not a marriage proposal. I pray each week for Gods Kingdom work in India. Hes pushing the envelope. So when the Samaritans came to him, they begged him to stay with them. Your email address will not be published. You worship that which you dont know. and this ministered to me. God is not scared of you. Jesus said in :14 that He could give her this water that would spring up to eternal life, and she said in verse 15: Sir, give me this water . Can this be? It's the same basic message with a different metaphor. (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. Who does work to bring us energy and put life in our bodies. 1 John 1:5, 1 John 4:8, 2 Kings 17:23-24, 2 Kings 17:25, 2 Kings 17:29-31, Ezra 4:2-3, Genesis 12:3, Isaiah 55:1, Jeremiah 2:13, John 4:1-4, John 4:1-42, John 4:5-29, John 8:48, Psalm 42:1, Revelation 21:6, Revelation 22:17, Romans 10:9-10, 52-week preaching calendar to help you plan your sermons, Customizable sermon manuscripts for verse-by-verse preaching, Preach with creativity and impact throughout the year, Help your church understand God's plan in pain, Call your people to experience a higher freedom, Proclaim the gospel to the ends of the earth. In the Old Testament, this was where Jacob first met Rachel. Sure, he was hot and thirsty. Water REFRESHES and SATISFIES; so does salvation. What I know is no earthly longing, no amount of chasing or looking for the best thing. read more, A sermon for the 3rd Sunday in Lent Series A They're very different of course: Nicodemus was a man, she was a woman; Nicodemus was a Jew, she was a Samaritan; he was a respected ruler, she Jesus ministry to the Woman at the Well shows how to bring the message of God's healing love to individuals; his efforts in Samaria changed a life, then Samaria, then Ephesus and resonates today in every nation where the Gospel is preached. According to the Jewish clock, this would be around 12 noon. There is more than just life there is eternal life a relationship with God that He designed for you to have with Him, a new perspective on life, and a new purpose as you work for His kingdom here on earth and then all eternity in heaven enjoying Him. I have read this story many times, and this morning will minister Gods word at Pullman Heights Methodist where I pastor. Free Sermons and Sermon Outlines for Preaching : Sermons on woman at well: showing 1-15 of 133,720 Filter Results Sort By. It would have been easy for her to leave. Free Access to Sermons on Woman At Well, Church Sermons, Illustrations on Woman At Well, and Preaching Slides on Woman At Well. Where there is grafting there is a cutting and this I say, must be done by a wound.. One commentator reflected that this is a text Then I would be happy. In spite of her lack of understanding. To start saving items to a SermonFolder, please create an account. They said, we have heard for ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.. Samaria was a dessert town and the heat of the day was not the time to be filling up the jars of water. The Samaritans refused to worship at Jerusalem, preferring their own temple built on Mt. You know what she has done, what she is doing, who she is?, Yeah thats why I am not hanging with you!. Jesus shows her who He is! What resources should I look into to dive deeper? Jacobs well was there, and Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well. So, Jesus came back to where it all started. More than just some silver and gold coins, this woman found eternal life. 2) On top of that, she was a woman of Samaria the hated step-children of the Jewish race. Coming to faith in Jesus is a process and the woman at the well experienced all the phases of that process. He sure didnt get that out of a How to Win Friends and Influence People class, did He? What kind of people are able to spread the Gospel? They thus cut themselves off from the riches in the Psalms, the Prophets, and other books. You spread His love to everyone, you want to pass it on. Click here for more information. With gracious honesty, Jesus confronted her need and revealed . for the Father seeks such to be his worshipers. Scriptures: The text is John 4:1-42. Yet as Alistair Begg explains, she was also in the place of God's appointing for an encounter with the Savior. Hes talking about life real life life in all its abundance eternal life life in the Spirit the New Creation. When you turn away from your sins, and turn back to God, that is called repentance. You must repent of your sins and turn back to God in order to have a real relationship with Him. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your device and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. (John 4:9-10). Enter your email address and we will send you a link to reset your password. This is the difference we have been talking about over the past couple of weeks, between intellectual assent, and saving faith. Get filled, and may you never thirst again. when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, read more. The Samaritan woman thought Jesus was talking about flowing water (river or stream). A cartoon pictures a medieval Crusader, standing in full armor and holding his shield. by Alistair Begg. She had had 5 husbands; she had broken Gods laws about marriage. But, receiving is not a destination. We are going to ask, "Are we concerned with what Jesus Christ is concerned with? This Samaritan woman, who found herself drinking at the well with the Savior of the world, frequented this well at this hour on purpose. not because of your speaking; for we have heard for ourselves, The other was a man. You may have been just like the woman at the well just going through your daily routines, living life from one week to the next, from one paycheck to the next, from one weekend to the next but God is saying to you today, there is an opportunity for something more. Episcopal. . First, he spoke to her despite the fact that she was a woman. A place where you can come and get filled so you can go out and do and live your God-given purpose. How one woman's encounter with Jesus changed her whole community. The Samaritan womans encounter with Jesus at Jacobs well changed her life. She asked him: The Samaritan woman said to him, How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria? But she did this. You have wearied me with your sins. The Salvation Of A Samaritan Sinner The sixth hour was noon. read more, Scripture: I Am thirsty for the living You cant just sweep your sins under the carpet and pretend that they never happened or worse yet, just keep on doing the same sins as if God doesnt care. Here are 4 lessons we can learn from the woman at the well. They were hated by the Jews because of this cultural mixing and because they had their own version of the Bible and their own temple on Mount Gerizim. TRY SERMONWRITER! As a result, John says, From that city many of the Samaritans believed in him because of the word of the woman (John 4:39). He always knew how to get to the heart of the problem in a So many ways I can relate to the Samaritan woman who felt like she didnt add up. John 4:1-30, Jesus once again proves that he brings salvation to all people when he meets the Samaritan woman at the well, So he came to a Samaritan city called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. But Jesus Himself IS the solution; He is the chair in illustration. Lutheran. INTRODUCTION John 4:1-42, Denomination: If He cared about them, you can know He cares about you. Hes not asking her, Who have you been sleeping with? but To whom do you ascribe your allegiance? This is brought out in the verse that follows. near the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son, Joseph. If you have never received it, there is a great opportunity in front of you today. Bible Church. Today, we will listen in to the conversation Jesus has with the woman at the Excited by what the woman told them, the Samaritans came from Sychar and begged Jesus to stay with them. and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world. Lets wrap it up. But she didnt run, and she didnt go, but she pursued. (Which is the same as saying, I have no lord.), Jesus said, You said well, I have no husband, It took a strong woman to draw her water in the heat of the day an independent and resolute woman a woman with a mind of her own a woman like Rachel who, if you remember, also came to the well at high noon the day she met Jacob. Yet, there Jesus was. The Samaritan woman at Jacobs Well is a picture of a rational sinner who can come to Christ. I just began learning about god and found this article so profound. Brothers and sisters, drink from the common cup of Jesus Christ and be at one in him. John 4:4 And He had to pass through Samaria. Why? Jesus shows us that here. Can this be the Christ? (John 4:29), At this point theres a break in the story as Jesus confers with his disciples. This means so much to me! She has no clue. "An Encounter with the Messiah" If you want to have eternal life, you must admit that you have disobeyed God. 3He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee. In the book of Acts, after Jesus' ascension into heaven, his apostles carried on his work in Samaria and to the Gentile world. Only Christ can fill our inner emptiness. On its surface, the story chronicles ethnic prejudice and a woman shunned by her community. GET YOUR FOUR FREE SAMPLES! The church grew by leaps and bounds. He knew about God, and about Jesus, but he could find no comfort for his soul. ' We need to realize the importance of this; this was obviously no small thing, or Jesus would not have brought it up here. Just as the Samaritan woman was looking to men to satisfy her soul, we also look to things outside of Christ to give our hearts meaning and purpose ( John 4:14 ). This article is what I needed today! YES! John 4:1-42, John 4:5-29, John 4:1-4, Denomination: They talk. That chair is not going to do anything for me until I go over and sit on it, and actually put my weight on it. It was FROM HIDDEN NIGHTS TO OPEN DAYLIGHT TESTIMONY THE SAMARITAN WOMAN CHARACTERS OF JOHNS GOSPEL love of many growing cold because of the increase of wickedness Matthew 24: 12. Youd think that wouldve held them together. Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. May be you are like that: you have been going through the motions of every day life getting up every day, going to work, doing what you have to do, eating, drinking, living, breathing, making money, paying bills but God is saying there is something more for you than that. And Jesus was unfazed by her sin. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Check out these helpful resources John 4:5-42, Denomination: It was back in the days before they went their separate ways, pointing their fingers at each other and accusing each other of infidelity. A skid row prostitute can become a child of God. The sacred mountain for the Jews was Mount Zion. Try, If The Preacher Is Dead, The Sermon Will Be Dead, Chasing The Dream, Preaching Greatness, And Knowing Your Audience, Life-Changing Encounters With Jesus: The Woman At The Well. Jesus said to her in :16 Go call your husband and come here. Why did He say that? The woman said to Jesus, You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. Isaiah 59:2 says of all of us: Your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God. As we saw last week, we were all born with a sin nature, and we have each have chosen to disobey God and you cant have eternal life until you face up to your sin and deal with it. He needed to pass through Samaria. (John 4:26, ESV), As the woman began to grasp the reality of her encounter with Jesus, the disciples returned. Jesus' encounter at the well of Samaria ends with the woman's growing awareness that Jesus is more than just "a prophet" but "the Prophet" whom the Samaritans (and Jews) saw as the Messiah who was coming (Deuteronomy 18:15-18). When the Jews returned from exile in Babylon the Samaritans offered to help them rebuild their temple, but the offer was refused (Ezra 4:2-3). This can be painful facing up to your sin but that is part of genuine salvation. Never forget God has a great purpose for your life! Intro: One thing that invariably stands out when reading about Christs personal dealings with people is His magnificent wisdom. The Woman at the Well Marvin Patterson John 4:1-29 Introduction: You really can't miss the contrast between Nicodemus in John 3 and the woman of Samaria in John chapter 4. Explore classes and e-books to help create balance with your mind, body, and soul. YES!! John 4:1-45 (ID: 2968) John 4 introduces us to a Samaritan woman with a questionable past, socially isolated and morally confused. THE OCCASION (John 4:1-4). What a good way to start my saturday. But all of the sudden she had the opportunity to have eternal life! Some times in our life we have our bucket in the wrong well. The story of the woman at the well is one of the most well known in the Bible; many Christians can easily give a summary of it. Do know the opportunity that you have in front of you today? If He loved them, you can know He loves you! He died on the cross to pay for your sins, so that if you would repent of your sin, and trust Him, He will be your Lord & Savior today! The people we call the Samaritans came into being when the Northern Kingdom of Israel had been carried off into captivity (like we have been talking about on Wednesday nights) and the Assyrians took some foreigners and settled them in the land. Of course! We are living in this time. You may have come out here today just for a normal Sunday but Jesus has something much bigger in mind. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. The woman said to him, Sir, give me this water so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.. So he came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the field that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. In Spite of who she is and what she has done. What would you like to know! We see that in this story of the woman at the well, and the attention she received from Jesus. Our story for today is very similar. We need to understand that the problem this Samaritan Woman faced is the same problem we all face: our sins have separated us from God. And there is a lesson here also for every one of us as believers and church members: if God cares about each person like that, we should too. Remember, Your Past Is Not Your Future. In the process, she confesses to have been married five times and is presently living out of wedlock. She knew travelers(men) would be around that time looking for water. and drank of it himself, as did his children, and his livestock? 26:51). document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Are you struggling with a lack of libido? She is still living in the afterglow of that encounter. We are to put our faith in Him. And yet Jesus took the time, when He was in the very act of being arrested and taken away to the cross, to care for this man, and restore his ear. The reason for the hostility of the Jews to the Samaritans goes back a long way. Or we mistake it for anxiety thats always sitting under the surface. Cheryls observation was: How extraordinary was this of Jesus: He did not just heal the man who was ordering His unjust arrest; He healed that mans SERVANT! (John 4:16-19), John assumes we know the background. (John 4:20). Jesus answered, "I who speak to you am he." She was the woman people whispered about as she passed down the street. They thought they were just out for a normal afternoon walk but they ended up finding a great treasure that day. She was lost in a sea of her own brokenness. The problem with that was, he never dealt with sin; he never talked about Jesus dying on the cross to pay for our sins. Jesus had to go through Samaria because he had to show us where he abides. The strict Jews would by-pass Samaria, Jesus to Sychar and to Galilee and then right back to Jerusalem. And in the filling, may you have the energy to go out and live your God-given design. They scattered to the four winds. Plan And the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known.. Sin and rough living can take a great toll on your countenance. Jesus work transformed this woman. It is wounding work, of course, this breaking of the hearts, but without wounding there is no saving. John 4 v 1 Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptising more disciples than John John 4:2 (although What was your crutch becomes your confession. Get the results plus realistic tips to start living healthy right now! That is God himself. The first lesson that we can take from the woman at the well is that she was looking for love in all the wrong places. The story begins as Jesus and his disciples are traveling from Jerusalem in the south to Galilee in the north. Let him do the work. More than just some silver and gold coins, this woman found eternal life. At first, the Samaritan woman did not fully understand Jesus' meaning. Dr. Sproul investigates Jesus meeting with a Samaritan woman at noontime coming to get water in the heat of the day. John 4:5 Eventually he came to the Samaritan village of Sychar, near the field The question is will we receive it? This passage from John about Jesus encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well just outside of Sychar is rich with messages and lessons for all who seek Jesus. This woman, unbeknownst to her, had stumbled across a treasure: it was not just some guy who was sitting there at the well that day, but Jesus the Messiah. Thank you. We dont want to take this for granted: the fact that Jesus took time for this woman was remarkable. Vs 29 Come to a man that told me my sin! Actually, there are two ways to get from Judea to Galilee. He approached her for a drink on His way to Galilee - Jn 4:3-8 She was amazed that He, a Jew, would speak to her, a Samaritan woman - Jn 4:9 -- Jesus used the opportunity to tell her about "living water" - Jn 4:10-14 https://www.learnreligions.com/woman-at-the-well-700205 (accessed May 2, 2023). The gift of God is before you today! Text: John 4: 25-29 John 4: 4:1 When therefore the LORD knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Dont deceive yourself; dont try to act like you havent sinned and that you are so good that you deserve a place in heaven. John 4:1-29. Amen. In John 4:42 we read that many Samaritans came to Jesus and recognized Him as Savior of the world. What led to this great response of the Samaritans? Designed inside of us to keep us running back to the one who can fill us. Perhaps her public shame caused her to be isolated from other women. (Ill. Jacob's well was about mile from the village.) Vs 28 She left the very thing she came for. Ann Took a Vow of Poverty - AnnEmanuele.com, 5 Small Daily Things That Can Change Your Habits for Good, This Simple Mindset Shift Changed My Health. But it is extraordinary that despite all that, that Jesus DID talk to her, and took advantage of the opportunity that God gave Him to share with her. (John 4:40-42). When he left, the people told the woman, " we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the savior of the world." Heres another clue: Both Jews and Samaritans claimed Jacob as one of the Patriarchs. From a Jewish perspective, there were three strikes against the woman at the well: 1. It was also the part of the day when you werent likely to find many women at the well. I had the privilege of studying the Gospel of John in seminary with Dr. Fred Gealy at the time, a respected and well-known Bible scholar. The living water is a bubbling spring (NLT). Amen. . (Genesis 29:7), Jesus was sitting at the well when the woman arrived. Thats beside the point. When you visit this site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. The story begins, (Jesus) left Judea, and departed into Galilee. I hope you follow along for more encouragement! When he has come, he will declare to us all things. Copyright 2003-2023 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. Thank you. Are you greater than our father Jacob? For a woman to be drawing water at this hour would be an unusual occurrence. INVITATION I was writing about the woman at the well and had a lot of feelings that were described by you and I could relate to you in my Brokenness. Sermon: A Samaritan Woman's Encounter with Jesus By Yohan Perera On November 5, 2015 In Sermon Outlines Introduction Many years ago a young man who sought supernatural intervention for his problems, walked into a Hindu Temple, hoping to receive the favor of the gods that the temple was dedicated for. John 4 - Woman at the Well John 4:1 Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John John 4:2 (although Jesus Himself was not baptizing, but His disciples were), John 4:3 He left Judea and went away again into Galilee. (John 4:21-24), I know that Messiah comes, he who is called Christ. You will never thirst. A SUBSCRIBER SAYS: Thanks for all this. He doesnt see how deep your sin, He sees your heart. She did NOT know, at this moment, the gift of God that He was about to set before her. If I had been in this situation with a history like hers, I think I would have turned around the second I saw a male sitting by the well. He now reigns in the Church Triumphant; even so, I tip my hat to him, as I offer this sermon in his honor. Indeed he is the only way to a well-filled life. Its Johns way of proclaiming the gospel to those who have ears to hear and eyes to see Jesus as Lord and Savior. This is not about place! This morning, we sit down at the "foot" of Jacob's Well. (John 4:25-26), The woman left her jar and ran into town shouting, Come, see a man who told me everything that I did. Reject strongholds (John 4:19-20) As this insightful conversation develops between Jesus and an immoral Samaritan woman, we learn about strongholds or obstacles that often prevent individuals and churches from experiencing true worship. Jesus knew just how to approach every person. But he said: As the money became more and more, happiness became less and less. Charismatic, LIVING WATER WELL OF SALVATION There are two points to be made here. They not only took her at her word, they followed her back to the well. The Samaritan woman is an example of the truth that no one can sink so low as to be BELOW the offer of salvation. (John 4:5), Sychar was the site of Jacobs well. Noon is the time of day when the sun is high overhead. Living water = SALVATION from sin's bondage and condemnation. Free Sermons and Sermon Outlines for Preaching : From Hidden Nights To Open Daylight Testimony The Samaritan Woman Characters Of Johns Gospel, Mini-Series: You Must Be The Cycle Breaker In Your Family (Part 2), If The Preacher Is Dead, The Sermon Will Be Dead, Chasing The Dream, Preaching Greatness, And Knowing Your Audience. Several summers ago, a father and his son were out for a walk in a farmers field in northern England. He said all the sudden he understood: My righteousness was Jesus Christ Himself, the same yesterday, today and forever. And he said when he understood that, Now did my chains fall off my legs indeed now went I also home rejoicing for the grace and love of God. Almost all of his life Bunyan knew ABOUT Jesus; but at that moment he really TRUSTED Jesus as his Savior the One who dealt with his sins and made him right with God. Listen: Youll never know the joy of this abundant life Jesus promises until you experience him for yourself. The Samaritan woman said to him, You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. It draws on the power of symbolism. "The Woman at the Well Bible Story Study Guide." Yet Jesus still met her! I am so thankful that God has a purpose for our lives and that we can go and share with others oh, theres nothing more rewarding. 6. Or drive or motivation, not just for sex but for a lot of things in life? He said, Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life. (:14) This woman had an incredible opportunity: the gift of eternal life was sitting right in front of her. He was on a mission. They didnt commune with each other as brothers and sisters of a common faith. I dont know what you picture the woman at the well to look like, but she probably did not resemble the nice pictures they put on childrens Sunday School posters! Its in the receiving that our satisfaction is quenched. The filling not only filled her longing, but it gave her a new desire to use the energy to go out and live her purpose. It is interesting that Jesus uses this term, the gift of God to describe salvation. One of the worst invitations I ever heard came from an evangelist years ago who told a really scary story about hell, and then said: If you want to miss hell, and go to heaven, come down to the front! Well, of course everyone came down to the front! Jesus, the Savior of the world, asks an outcast to help him. Jesus confuses this lady. 5 So He came to a city of Samaria which is called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Faith in God can move a person from mat to mattress. John goes on: So he came to a city of Samaria, called Sychar, Great article. Jesus stayed two days, teaching the Samaritan people about the Kingdom of God. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.' Now it is midnight on new years eve and I am the only one awake .This was beautifully written and I loved it. He had to wound her by confronting her with her sin, so that she could eventually be saved. Jesus revealshimselfas the Messiah to this woman first! The people listened to the Whore of Sychar What Now, Hey Traditional Church Pastor, Dont Settle for Relational Width, Martyn Lloyd-Jones: I am not surprised by the sin in the world . There is a big difference in believing that chair COULD hold me, and actually letting it hold me. She was curious about his promises, and He didnt back away no matter how deep her sin ran through. 2. I find so many similarities in this story to my own. about the Samaritan Woman drawing water We are told that she arrived at the well at the sixth hour (v. 6). ' Although they had never met before, Jesus revealed that he knew she'd had five husbands and was now living with a man who was not her husband. Rose Poag, Dear Bro. Learn how Jesus shocked the woman at the well with his loving acceptance. By Dr. Philip W. McLarty Im glad this was one of those ways for you! They didnt drink from the same cup. Intellectual assent says that you believe a fact about something; saving faith really trusts it for yourself. He said, Give me a drink.. But it didnt. You cannot be reconciled to God without repenting of your sins, because it was your sin that separated you from God in the first place. The prisoner on the ground struggles to say, Tell me more about your Christianity. Jack Zavada is a writer who covers the Bible, theology, and other Christianity topics. Thank you, Thank you so much for your sharing this word. Childerns Sermons In Jesus day, there was bitter hostility between Jews and Samaritans. Jesus ministry to the Woman at the Well shows how to bring the message of Gods healing love to individuals; his efforts in Samaria changed a life, then Samaria, then Ephesus and resonates today in every nation where the Gospel is preached. In the meantime, the woman goes back to the village and tells everyone she meets whats happened. read more, Scripture: Thanks for sticking around. To fully grasp the story of the woman at the well, it's important to understand who the Samaritans were--a mixed-race people, who had intermarried with the Assyrians centuries before.