check out the. The Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, and Kia Sedona can all fit full 48 sheets of plywood inside of them but you will have to remove all of the seats from the vehicles to do so. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Greetings from Trollhattan. But because you took the time to write, I went back over the last 10 vehicles we reviewed on our website, cartalk.com, and have added, below, the information you're looking for -- whether these vehicles will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back: Ford Escape: No. If youre looking for an SUV that can carry a 48 sheet of plywood, then youve come to the right place. There are a lot of vehicles that can haul a sheet of plywood. So, what SUVs can fit a sheet of plywood? Jul 1, 2020. You cannot see whatever is sticking out as easily and you increased the length of your vehicle by up to several feet more than what you are used to so making any sharp turns or driving in heavy traffic might pose serious risks of unintentional damage. rbarrios could tell you more about this as he hauls a lot in the back of his Traverse. : 2012 Mazda 5. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Once youve selected an SUV, you can maximize its cargo space by using accessories such as roof racks, cargo carriers, and hitch-mounted carriers. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The 5.7 had decent power although not neck-snapping. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. I would say no, this is not a vehicle for hauling sheet goods. So you can cross those off your shopping list, Frank. Happy driving and remember don't drive like my brother. I've done it before, but on an SUV with Yakima bars that were spaced apart. Make at least one tie back to front..If you do not bend the front edge of the plywood down slightly, it will make an effective wing, and depart the car. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Firstly, driving with anything hanging out the back of your vehicle is dangerous and should not be done. Here's how. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The fourth-gen minivan is all hybrid and basically a luxury vehicle. So does a sheet of plywood fit in a Suburban? So, which cargo van is suitable for transporting materials such as Plywood or Drywall? The average 48 sheet of plywood is half an inch thick or 16 cubic feet. Unfortunately, the hybrid/CVT combo is still a little louder than expected in the cabin, and the brakes still have a spongy feel as the regen system works its magic. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. | Subaru Outback: No As the ply stack gets higher in the van the seat belts interfere less. Iodoxy said: Rent a truck! What SUVs Can Fit a 4x8 Sheet of Plywood? Can you fit a 48 sheet of Plywood in a Kia Sedona? (Towing capacity comparison), The Five Best Three-Quarter-Ton Trucks For Towing Campers, Boats, and Trailers. For instance, the Toyota RAV4 offers a surprisingly spacious cargo area, even though its one of the smallest SUVs on the market. 1999 Ford Expedition 4 Dr XLT SUV-General. A new 2022 touring L (power side doors and leather seats) costs between $42,000.00 and $44,000.00 according to Kelly Blue Book. Having to sift through touchscreen menus to turn the heat up is a pain. Tell us if you think this is the right move for the family hauler in the comments below. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. All-wheel drive is offered on all trims and drops combined mileage from 36 mpg to 35 mpg. What SUV's Can Carry a 48 Sheet of Plywood? A disagreement over climate control settings will lead to an argument about your spouse's ancestry. Can you please tell the guys that review the vehicles to add this simple fact to their reviews? These accessories can help you fit a 48 sheet of plywood in the back of the vehicle without taking up too much room. The next thing you are probably wondering is exactly how many trips you are going to need to make to carry all of that stuff! JavaScript is disabled. Moving further up the trim line, the sporty XSE gets black accents and wheels, premium audio, LED daytime running lights and a sport-tuned suspension. The Maverick has two pre-wired 12-volt pickups behind grommets at the rear of the bed for those who want to add powered aftermarket accessories, and there's an optional 400-watt 110V outlet available in the bed for those who need to power basic tools or tailgating accessories. But what if you cannot? The base engine, a 2.3-litre EcoBoost inline-four, is expected to get 300 hp and 310 pound-feet of torque. These is a job for full size minivans, which almost all of them can fit a full sheet with the second and third rows removed. This site has a bunch of dimensions for the cargo area, hand-measured: Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews. The standard 9-inch touchscreen features redundant button on the side and the climate control is thankfully in a separate panel. Do you have a corner of the yard or garage to keep a small 4x8 trailer? Paul Mackwood | Jan 30, 2008 03:42am | #10 I have two Astro's, both cargo types with no back seats. and our While there's no under-bed storage like what you get in the Hyundai Santa Cruz or larger Honda Ridgeline, there's an under-seat storage bin beneath the second row for items that are too valuable for the bed, but too dirty for the cabin floor. You can pick up a quality one for about $400, or cheaper used. Please follow the instructions below to enable JavaScript in your browser. Four Wheel Trends is dedicated to advancing the knowledge and education of automotive enthusiasts. Dan Pattison demonstrates how to do it step by step very well. These SUVs can carry a 48 sheet of plywood. 5) Make sure you clip the rear seat belts before sliding in the plywood sheets, my older 2006 van has little clips for this purpose, I just push the belts to the sides most times. So whether youre hauling lumber for a DIY project or transporting plywood for a commercial job, you can rest assured that youve chosen the perfect SUV for the task. I can fit a 4 x 8 sheet in my 2012 Honda Pilot with the tail gate tied down and about 16-18" hanging out. In the event that you have more materials to bring . As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The vehicle is older though. The only way is by using a trailer. When you fill the back of your minivan up with plywood you can hinder your ability to see out the side or rear window if you arent careful. The Honda Odyssey is great and usefulall minivans arebut I think it would come in third on my list. My pickup only has a 6 foot bed, so the plywood only fits if I lower the tailgate. Tesla owner says man set his EV on fire, and Sentry Mode captured it on video, 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro teases two more new features, Junkyard Gem: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS Coupe, 2024 Ford Maverick order book opens in July. SUV is currently experiencing its golden age, as evidenced by vehicle sales dominated by it. With the seats in place, the Pilot can fit up to eight people, although the third-row seat is really only suitable for kids. Suburban (and GMC and Cadillac variants of the Suburban), and the Expedition. Cut and glue the plywood shelf to the exterior of the SUV. My Honda Pilot (SUV) almost holds a 4x8 sheet. For the 4x8 plywood and couches, we have had a full size van in the family continuously since 1986. Virginia for instance requires a red flag at the end of the load if it extends at least four feet. The average length of the legroom between the seats is 42 to 44 inches or 3.5 to 3.6 feet. The Toyota Sienna minivan is entering its fourth generation in 2021. Several large SUVs that can carry 4X8 in them are the Cadillac Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, Ford Expedition Max, and GMC Yukon XL. The bed has formed-in supports to allow owners to load it in level, and the tailgate can be locked at 45, at which angle its height aligns with the aforementioned supports to keep your plywood flat. Youll probably be driving. In my line of thinking they just broke it in for me. Torque split to the rear ranges from 0 to 80 percent on those models. Besides functioning as a passenger vehicle, SUV also has a cargo space that is wide enough to transport goods. Which minivan can fit 4X8 Plywood or Drywall? Chevy Suburban The Chevy Suburban is a massive SUV with enhanced towing and cargo capacity. Probably the smallest vehicle that will hold a 4x8 sheet is a big minivan like the current Chrysler vans. The total carrying capacity we noted earlier for a Suburban with all the seats down is 121.7 cubic feet. Good luck. It w. So most SUVs aren't designed to carry a flat sheet of plywood. Just make sure you tie it down good, especially if you're going on the freeway. It barely fits 8' lumber since it extends from the back door all the way up to the dashboard. Everything would be easier if you had a cargo van, but is it necessary? In the next year or two I will be looking to get a new minivan again for the family and as much as I like the reliability of the Sienna or Odyssey I will likely be choosing a Chrysler because its the only one that has the option for all of the seats to fold down flat. Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley. Do you value independent journalism? In this position, the tailgate can support up to 400 pounds. The digital mirror uses a camera to project whats behind you in a wider view, and is a nice touch but takes some getting used to. What Small Truck Can Tow the Most? I just put some 8ft long boards in my escape, I was able to fit them in but the board went from the climate controls right to the end of the tailgate. Home Depot rents pickups for $19 for 75 min. (Things To Consider). The most recent minivan even has engine performance comparable to an SUVs. Planning to Get Dental Veneers? SUVs offer the perfect combination of size and power, making them the ideal vehicles for carrying large items like a 48 sheet of plywood. 14 Best SUV For Sleeping (Car Camping Revealed! For Sienna, it made sense to make it all-hybrid based on current sales trends and to ensure it stands out in the segment, said Toyota. So, moving Plywood from the store to your home will be tricky without a trailer or a truck. Buying a brand-new truck or cargo van only to carry Plywood is very expensive. You should always make sure that everything in the rear of your minivan is below the front seats and also not where it can go flying between the two front seats. It was listed for $699 but I ran across one that had been side swiped on their lot and got it for $500. And Toyota isnt the only one to go this route. Why Is My Jeep Wrangler Beeping (And How Do I Make It Stop)? The 4X6 Plywood will fit fine, but the 4X8 Plywood will not work in a Cherokee. Dont despair. An all-hybrid lineup for the Sienna? This car is not super good on gas. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Proudly powered by WordPress If all the seats are folded flat or removed, the average cargo space is about 121.7 cubic feet which include about ten feet of length in the back for cargo which would be more than enough to fit a 48 piece of plywood. They even make folding models, great for light use. Owning a cargo van is worth considering if transporting Plywood is something you often do. However, if you own a model of Suburban that does not allow for the seats to fold flat and they would need to be removed first that presents a problem since from that back of the vehicle to the third row of seats is only about 3 feet. I can't understand why the American designers are so clueless on that. Just remember to consider your needs and budget when selecting an SUV, and dont forget to maximize the cargo space with the right accessories. Hi, I'm Kern! The laws vary widely and depend on the state you live in and even on which roads you plan to drive on for your trip. That is a lot of plywood for any vehicle to haul but the fact that you can put that much plywood in the back of a minivan is what makes it a great choice for those people who love to do projects while still wanting a family vehicle. The sky's the limit. (How Much Can They Tow? do you need it to be whole? It was a 4x8 model with a wooden floor and the tail gate folds down as a loading ramp. Outback's racks aren't that spread apart, so like 4wheeldog said, you may want to tie down the front, maybe to the front tow hook. Additionally, even if you marked your 48 sheet of plywood properly you could still get pulled over for it obstructing your registration on your vehicle which would get you pulled over in most states regardless. Very few people carry 4x8 sheets of plywood anymore. I am an Amazon Associate. When you are hauling plywood inside of your minivan there are a few important things that you should take into consideration. 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander: The Ultimate SUV with Unmatched Interior Space, 615 Badass Jeep Gladiator Names: Find Unique Jeep Names and Find Nicknames with These Creative Jeep Name Ideas. Back in the day, a Dodge Polara wagon would probably do it. The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. (Music by Big O.) (A Buyers Guide). If not, have the lumber yard rip it in half. Ford Maverick size comparison: How big is it vs. Ranger, F-150. I have done the same thing many times and finally decided to do something about it by making this site and dedicating it to answering all of the questions that the internet somehow doesn't have an answer to yet! Do you have knowledge or insights to share? The only damage was a ding in a fender and a broken tail light. My son just moved from one college house to another and his friends were amazed at a full size van's capacity. Purebred March 29, 2018, 11:56pm 15 What about building that shed or fence you have been putting off for years? If they need some 4x8 sheets of plywood, they'll have them delivered. (Will Others, Luxury Minivans Vs Other Luxury Vehicles (Which One Wins? News, Reviews, Photos, Videos delivered straight to your in-box. ), Van Conversions: #1 Best Minivan For A Camper Conversion, What Is The Best Minivan To Rent? Never put 2x4s or other long lumber in the middle ON TOP of the plywood as then it will be tall enough that it could injure the driver or break something else. Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout for vehicles that can fit a sheet of plywood, hatch down or tied down doesn't matter. I'm afraid you're in the minority these days, Frank. This. Therefore, to fit it in any model of Suburban you would need to fold or remove both the second and third row of seats and probably the first as well. With that being said, even though you can technically haul that load if you cannot fit that 48 sheet of plywood in your Suburban, it is strongly recommended not to so. Drywall and Plywood are two things that we use all the time. OK, lets get back on track. Jake Lingeman has been with Autoweek since 2006 and career highlights include driving the Silverstone Circuit in England, taking the Corvette ZR1 around Road Atlanta and going to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In the coming months, there will undoubtedly be renewed debate about what constitutes a "real" pickup, but rather than dwelling on what the new Maverick can't do, let's take a look at what it can. (Note: Is this article not meeting your expectations? Of course, the most common dimensions for a sheet of plywood is 4 feet (48 inches) by 8 feet (96 inches). Sedan owners find it difficult to carry Plywood or Drywall inside or on the cars roof. RAV4 Hybrid sales have risen from 10% to more than 25% of total sales and Highlander Hybrid is projected to be 20% of total Highlander sales.. Crossover owners can add a roof rack. Generally speaking, any SUV that is at least 5 feet wide and 6 feet long should be able to accommodate a 48 sheet of plywood. It is important to note that the length of your vehicle should not be an issue unless you cannot fold flat the third row of seats. Can a 48 Sheet of Plywood Fit in a Suburban? Even if you could get a 4x8 sheet in the Ascent, the scraping, gouging and dinging of your interior will decrease the value when you sell or trade it by more than most of the Big Box stores charge to rent their pickup. Ford Edge: No. That means you can fit approximately 7 sheets of plywood at max capacity per trip. When the second and third rows of seats are folded, there is plenty of room for 4X8 Plywood. Do you listen to NPR stations? About 8 inches sticks out the back and the tailgate comes down on top of it. The combination provides 245 net hp. I'm seeing if my leather seats from my Ford 2005 Expedition will fit in a 2007 Ford . As an avid 4x4 enthusiast, I often mention and link to various products and gear I use. Ultimately, its up to you to decide which vehicle is the best fit for your needs. The payload capacity of your minivan is based on when the minivan is entirely empty. Unless you're in the plywood pilfering business, Frank, in which case I guess delivery is not an option. Login; Home; Health. All; Disease; Fitness; Health; Maximum seating would include two rows of bench seats, two bucket seats ahead of them, and one additional bucket seat up front for nine. Top 8 SUVs with Terrific Towing Capacity for Less Than $40k, Cars With Heads-up Display in 2023 (Complete List), 9 Best Hybrid & Plug-in Hybrid SUVs with 3rd Row Seating (2023), SUV for Hauling 4X8 Plywoods And Drywall Sheets, Minivans That Can Fit Plywood/Drywall Sheets, Alternative Way of Transporting 4X8 Plywood Using a Car. Kia Stinger: No. But since its an SUV, you can put it on the roof of the vehicle quite easily. That means it likely wont be until 2025 or 2026 when all the other minivan manufacturers are able to have all of their seats fold into the floor as well since patents typically last 20 years in the US. Theres still hope. Will 2005 Ford Expedition seats fit in a 2007 Ford Expedition 3 Answers. Best mod I believe I did to my 4Runner pound for pound was my Baja Utility rack. Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 is standard on all grades. I'm Emily, but I'm not a Saab. For more information, please see our Seriously, even contractors will often have plywood delivered to job sites now rather than load and unload it themselves. If you have a bunch of items stacked up really high in the back of your vehicle and you have to brake really fast you will find that everything will go sliding towards the driver and windshield! (is there one?). Helping renovate a house or doing some repairs yourself? and our As a result, minivans have ample cargo space and interior volume, and if the passenger seat in your minivan can be folded flat, theres a good chance you can transport Plywood in it. Payload capacity for the 2020 Ridgeline starts at 1,452 pounds (RTL, 2WD) and tops out at 4,467 pounds in the RTL-E and Black Edition models which are only available with all-wheel-drive. Finally, the Platinum trim comes with full LED headlights, 20-inch metallic wheels, birds eye view camera, heated second-row seats, heated steering wheel and a 10-inch head up display. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. These are the 6 Facts You Must Know! When you put down both rows of seats, you get up to 144.7 cubic feet of storage. Several large SUVs that can carry 4X8 in them are the Cadillac Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, Ford Expedition Max, and GMC Yukon XL. It's not nearly as robust as the Pro Power Onboard system offered on the F-150, but for a small truck with a small price tag, it's a decent amount of utility. But if you really had to and those pesky seats really cannot come out or fold flat, can you legally drive with something out the back of your vehicle? Jeep Cherokee Service Shifter Light | What Does It Mean. An axle that can handle 2000 lbs is OK, but over 3,000 lbs capacity is much better. Alternatively, you can put it on the vehicles roof or use a trailer. (How Much Space, What Can A Minivan Tow? On the other hand, the Honda Pilot offers a lower price tag but may not have enough cargo space to fit a 48 sheet of plywood. Cookie Notice Theme: Newsup by Themeansar. Both features have been improved since the last Sienna. But if not, then an SUV or even renting a trailer is the best solution. For instance, the Ford Expedition offers plenty of cargo space and a powerful engine, but it may not be the best choice if youre on a tight budget. You should also leave a much longer distance between yourself and any vehicle in front of you as quick braking is not likely to happen when hauling that much weight. Here at EDUautos we are all about providing information about Cars, Trucks, SUVs, and Vans. The second-row seats have a 25-inch slide, meaning the kids can swing their legs with impunity. He does not mind if it has to fit diagonally without the trunk closing, just wants to be able to go to the hardware store and pickup some plywood without having to bring the trailer and does not want to have to put it on the roof. Will A Dishwasher Fit In A Minivan? Yes, it will fit. For the kids. Are you thinking about getting a cargo van? As such, continue reading this article to understand the vehicles for hauling Plywood and Drywall. However, you should always double-check the measurements of the vehicle before making a purchase, as some SUVs may be slightly larger or smaller than others. The Kia Carnival even has a relatively high ground clearance for a Minivan, thats certainly useful for some people. Although it is nice to be able to haul around plywood in any minivan, having to remove the seats from the vehicle and then put them back in when you are done is a deal breaker for many people. This has been nagging me ever since seeing that. If you are looking for an SUV that can fit plywood in the rear cargo area, then you should consider purchasing a SUV that is Extended Length.First, purchase a SUV that is Extended Length. What Does it Mean When Your Jeep Says Service Shifter? The price of a cargo van is relatively high, thats why I ask you to assess your needs first. Of course, the most important factor is the amount of cargo space each vehicle offers. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. I have a passion for learning and enjoy explaining complex concepts in a simple way. I like the car and it has been reliable. Most SUVs also come equipped with a tow hitch, which can make transporting the sheet of plywood even easier. Mini Cooper: No. No big family outings were planned, so the cargo area was empty, but Toyota does note that with the seats folded and slid, a few 4x8 sheets of plywood will fit in a pinch. Current rides: '13 VW Passat TDI, '04 SAAB 9-5 Wagon, Looking to acquire a new car within the next year due to VW Dieselgate, consider Outback a prime contender..doing the research. This page is for personal, non-commercial use. I currently have an older Chrysler Town and Country that allows for all of the seats to be folded into the floor and I use it quite often when purchasing appliances, furniture, and more. The sky's the limit. Ideally he is looking for more midsize, but not many (if any) can fit the plywood so if you know of one please let us know, but also hearing which full size SUVs fit it is great too! With a few tweaks, you can transport a lot of stuff on the roof of your car, including Plywood. You can find used trailers on Craig's List for cheap. Though it might seem like a no brainer since Suburbans are like enclosed trucks, there is more that goes into deciding whether your particular Suburban can accommodate 48 sheets of plywood. I know because i helped a guy load plywood in one ;-) However, with an SUV, you have a vehicle that can be used for various purposes, such as grocery shopping, hauling electronics, watching basketball, or anything else! get aluminium crossbars or tie to roof rails two 4 feet long 2x4 studs, load first plywood, then sheetrock. Will a 48 sheet of plywood fit in a Jeep Cherokee? Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. The Best SUVs for Carrying a 48 Sheet of Plywood: A Comprehensive Guide, Promoting Mental Health in the Community: Strategies and Resources, The Use of CBD Oil for Skincare and Beauty. It can hold up to 8,000 pounds and there is 41.5 cubic feet of space before adjusting the seats. So if your minivan has a payload of 1,700lbs and you have two people in the two front seats that each weigh 300lbs the weight of materials that you can carry in the back is only 1,100lbs and not the 1,700lbs that its rated for. And my house. Required fields are marked *. - Subscribe to get Updates. Another option is to get/rent a small utility trailer to haul your building materials in. For the most part, Suburbans from the 1990s onward have an overall length of 219 to 224 inches or 18.25 feet and 18.67 feet respectively. Not really, but yes. Our car experts choose every product we feature. However, if you own a Suburban from before 2015, more than likely only the first two rows of seats will fold down and the third row will have to be removed. For starters, youll want to make sure the vehicle has enough cargo space to accommodate the sheet of plywood. "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Use it. It works. Unfortunately, You wont fit a 4X8 plywood inside the Toyota Rav4. Another thing that is really important to think about is what will happen if the material shifts. Alright so you took out or folded all of your seats, you have the idea in mind of how much plywood you need, and have gone to the store to pick it up. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Can a 8X4 sheet of plywood fit in the back of a 2011 Outback? Would rather not get a truck so Im trying to think of a smaller suv where the rear window opens up. To many peoples surprise you can actually haul around plywood in the back of a minivan in virtually all of the modern models that are available but which one is the best when you plan to haul a lot of plywood or other large items? Member. It can still fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood The Toyota Sienna minivan is entering its fourth generation in 2021. Appreciate the quick response. ), What Are The Best Years for Dodge Diesel Trucks, What Are The Best and Worst Years for The Toyota 4Runner? Few Modern Vehicles Will Pass the Sheet of Plywood Test Dear Car Talk: There are two types of SUVs: those that allow a 4-foot by 8-foot sheet of plywood to lay flat in the back and those that don't. Can you please tell the guys that review the vehicles to add this simple fact to their reviews? Privacy Policy. Minivans also tend to be large enough to carry 4X8 Plywood or Drywall. Typically these models will have the third row fold into the floor but not the second row so you can fold down the third row but will have to manually remove the second one. Thats down from last years V6, but Toyota says its because the old output was measured at the crankshaft and this one is measured at the wheels, the contrast isnt as stark as you expect.