Corbis via Getty Images. I am a business owner and I also do stand up comedy and currently performing in Mrs Kapoors Daughters Wedding. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. I remember many things from that time: the rich smell of her cooking; the endless TV she would consume, from 60s Bollywood movies to Neighbours; the thickness of her reading glasses. In 1992, the station acquired Sunrise House in Southall which was officially opened on 21 January 1993 by Peter Baldwin Chief Executive of the Radio Authority. In 2002, Shabnam moved to London and joined Sunrise Radio hosting a show on weekdays and the weekend Top20. quiet ears for dogs eeyore tiktok. Whilst djing at school functions and presenting fashion shows when juggling studies at university, Ajay naturally had a passion for music and arts which lead him to radio.Having produced and presented various radio shows on western and Asian radio,Ajay currently entertains you with his own brand of humour on Sunrise radio every weekend between 10am 1pm. I am a Television & Radio presenter, and an Energy Alignment Coach. Later, she spent six exciting months in India for a travel show on Belgian TV (INDIA FOR BEGINNERS) showcasing India for European audiences. Hot and spicy food is my weaknesslike, seriously HOT! I love my life and i live it to the max everyday! Tiffanie Turnbull Journalist Beloved Australian radio presenter and television personality Jonathan Coleman has died, aged 65, after a four-year battle with prostate cancer. The club night was appreciated, this resulted in Sanj becoming resident DJ for Kuch Kuch Nights launched at Bar Bollywood the night since has become the longest running Bollywood club night in Europe, celebrating 16 years in 2016. Stephen had reacted with surprise when he was head-hunted by BBC bosses, telling the Belfast Telegraph he had once been warned he would never make it in radio. Stephen had been working as a salesman when he was offered a part-time job at City Beat radio, which his pregnant wife begged him to take, knowing how much it would mean to him. Email Now Playing: Sunrise Radio - Your Station . Long was also a DJ for BBC Radio 6 Music for two years, from its launch date in 2002. This lead to her first book, Snapshots From Home. This page was last edited on 8 October 2022, at 00:13. Sunrise went from 399,000 listeners in 1999 to stagnate at 332,000 by 2006. how easy was that? "To hear our records on her show was always the biggest thrill - her enthusiasm and love shone through," he tweeted. Born in Liverpool, her brother was fellow presenter Keith Chegwin, who died in 2017. Sunrise Radio has also been instrumental in bringingBollywood,bhangraand Asian-inspired music into the UKs mainstream, through the station itselfand various shows/festivals, boosting the careers of artists likeRishi Rich,Jay SeanandPunjabi MC. The show was shortlisted for the 'Best New Consumer Show 2004' by the Association of Event Organisers. Nikkis joined Sunrise Radio as a complete newbie to radio without any prior experience! Sunrise Radio Official Site The Greatest Asian Radio Station in the World. Read about our approach to external linking. She was also working closely with Lyca Radio for this years Ramadan programming. France. One wrote: "Nothing really seems appropriate to write here this morning. Hes an avid cook and is regarded by some as a restaurant and food reviewer or critic. The station expanded by also broadcasting on satellite television, first on the Astra analogue satellite, and later on Sky Digital. CHRISTMAS HAS ARRIVED AT THE REPAIR SHOP. "To hear our records on her show was always the biggest thrill - her enthusiasm and love shone through," he tweeted. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. But to break it down; Meri GUZAARISH is to have a BLACK DEEWAR that AMAR AKBAR & ANTHONY sit on and ignite SHOLAY. I love to cook, i love to sing! We were being recognised and legitimised, says current Asian Network controller Mark Strippel. All rights reserved. Hes probably best known in the industry as a publicist and has worked with a number of celebrities worldwide. The Radio 5 Live host, 51, was waiting for . Starting life as a pirate station in the early 1980s in Southall, Sunrise expanded from west London to the West Midlands and Yorkshire after receiving its license in 1989. Starting off in the early 80s San-j Sanj pioneered the daytimer club scene as a DJ and Promoter. She currently plays for Surrey CCC and also has a degree in Economics. British Asian jazz musician Arun Ghosh puts it down to political context. If you're struggling and need to talk, the Samaritans operate a free phoneline open 24/7 on 116 123. turquoise jewelry etsy. This is the third time in four years the radio station has won this title and this year's win comes in the same day as the release of Rajar Q3 2019. Born Francis Ebo Cann, the popular radio presenter, died on Friday, March 25, after a short illness. A radio presenter who died while on air has been described as "a warm, caring, fun guy" who was loved dearly by those who knew him. When it comes to UK Asian radio, its the brand Sunrise Radio, which comes up first. Peter Hook of New Order said she had been a great supporter of their music and a pleasure to be around. I could hardly believe it.". During her career she was a judge for the Mercury Music Prize and a patron of the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, founded by Sir Paul McCartney. Im literally one of biggest things on the airwaves at 62 makes that fairly easy. I give consent to Sunrise Radio to contact me via email. "She brought her passion for music to Radio Wales in 2017, supporting Welsh artists and Welsh language music ever since - we'll miss her passion, her knowledge and her laugh.". She was such a laugh as well. Next for San-j Sanj was a stint in radio with Westside Radio and BBA, it was from here that Sanj was noticed for his radio ability and swiftly moved to the newly branded Club Asia in 2001. Others from the worlds of music and radio have also been paying tribute. Watch this archive of Janice Long presenting Top of the Pops. Chris Bath. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. NSW Government to start accepting applications for the new role of Rental Commissioner to act as a voice for renters, Lisa Currys son Jett launches mental health campaign in memory of sister Jami, Calls for crocodile cull in North Queensland after spate of attacks, EXCLUSIVE: Sea World helicopter crash survivor Winnie De Silva on her recovery, Hans performs a cover of Lizzos Juice with Matt Shirvington, Sunrises Katie Brown scores sneaky interview with Princess Mary on live TV, Weekend Sunrise from 7am Saturday and Sunday. Long presented Top of the Pops for five years - again, the first woman to do this - and had a late-night slot on Radio 2. Celeb obsessed? https://www.myjoyonline.com/happy-fms-dr-cann-passes-on-after-short-illness/-------https://www.myjoyonline.com/happy-fms-dr-cann-passes-on-after-short-illness/, Daily: 0.30p | Weekly: GHS 2 | Monthly: GHs 9, Ghana DJ Awards Board mourns the death of Happy FMs DJ Adviser. Janice Long, best known as a presenter on BBC Radio 1, Radio 2 and Top of the Pops, has died aged 66 after a short illness. BBC radio presenter Rachael Bland has died after suffering from breast cancer, aged 40. The early 90s for San-j Sanj were extremely busy with International tours, recording albums. Chinese / Thai / Japanese Pan-Asian basically. The Charlatans' Tim Burgess said Long was one of a kind - a mentor for so many bands. I will always have time for these champs. Seems he was the only one in the studio unaware the Sunrise co-host's beloved pet died last year. Le Vaudreuil Postal address. Born in Calcutta, half Punjabi - half Bengali, she's got the best of both worlds! He was one of the presenters who has worked with the Accra-based radio station for years. La Vente Cartier - RD 149 - route de Vascoeuil. CHRISTMAS HAS ARRIVED AT THE REPAIR SHOP. For British Asians in the 80s and 90s, you had to negotiate a lot of racism, he says. Alternatively, you can email [email protected] or visit the website to find your local branch. Raj keeps himself busy by also running his own record label and media agency and is currently developing his own food brand! Love travelling, watching cricket and having a laugh! Chinese / Thai / Japanese Pan-Asian basically. ), empathetic, caring, charitable and far too busy, a health freak obsessed about organic foods, and a chatterbox who easily loses track of time (30mins later and still explaining why she loves the colour yellow!) It is a clear example of how Asian music and its broadcasting platforms have flourished in Britain to cater to its demographic, despite changing tastes. MasterChef Australia judge Jock Zonfrillo has died aged 46, according to a statement from his family. 11:00pm - 1:00am. 27100 LE VAUDREUIL. The person you hear on radio or see on the telly is quite possibly not the real me even I dont know who that is! Competing for a share of this already-reduced audience, the BBC combined its local Asian radio programming in Leicester and Birmingham and launched the national Asian Network in 2002. "If you could see what's COMING, you wouldn't stress about what's happening," read the text post. Find on the map and call to book a table. ", And in a statement issued through the BBC, Gavin said: "We are devastated to lose Stephen who was deeply loved by his family and friends. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. Long was passionate about music and championed many artists long before they achieved chart success, including the band Primal Scream and singer Amy Winehouse, to whom she gave her first radio session. "She had my back from the day we met, you couldn't possibly ask for more love and loyalty from a wife," he added. Explore in 3D: The dazzling crown that makes a king. Its multicultural and pluralistic.. Other artists to have been given early breaks by the broadcaster include Adele, The Smiths, The Coral and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Catch me if you can Monday-Friday 12-4pm! The strategy seems to be paying off, with over 600,000 people tuning in every week. ", Fellow Radio 1 DJ Adele Roberts tweeted to say: "Thank you for everything you did to inspire others and open doors for other women and radio presenters to prosper.". My grandma passed away suddenly, aged 89, while I wrote this article, after over 50 years living in England. While her son Fred said she "inspired me to be what I want and told me never to settle for anything less". Lisa Shaw, who worked for BBC Radio Newcastle, died at the . Do You see incomplete, outdated or incorrect information on our site? It is now a nationwide service and the worlds first commercial 24-hour Asian radio station. Born in Calcutta, half Punjabi half Bengali, shes got the best of both worlds! Cruise Control. Fellow Liverpudlian Ian Broudie, of The Lightning Seeds, said: "So very sad to hear of the passing of my friend Janice Long, who will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her.". Whilst juggling his DJ career, radio and events. In a statement issued jointly with . Sunrise Radio wins the coveted Asian Radio Station of the Year 2020 at the British Asian Media Awards. Le Vaudreuil Phone number. Khan passed away peacefully in her sleep this morning. BBC Radio Ulster star Stephen Clements died this week just days after a cryptic post about stress. Lycas DilSe Radio will be paying a tribute to Khan at 19:00 this evening. Whilst djing at school functions and presenting fashion shows when juggling studies at university, Ajay naturally had a passion for music and arts which lead him to radio.Having produced and presented various radio shows on western and Asian radio,Ajay currently entertains you with his own brand of humour on Sunrise radio every weekend between 10am 1pm. All Rights Reserved. While her son Fred said she "inspired me to be what I want and told me never to settle for anything less". But above all, I recall the constant crackle of an AM signal tuning in to Sunrise Radio. I love hanging out with positive peeps who practice empathy and carry with them a natural high for life, constantly motivating others to do well. In 2010, it was proposed the station be shut down, along with BBC 6 Music. Read about our approach to external linking. In 2016 Sunrise Radio Moved to new purpose built Studio and office in Hounslow, this is also the company's Headquarters.[7]. Long, host of BBC Radio Wales ' evening show since 2017, died. MasterChef host and award-winning restaurateur Jock Zonfrillo has died. A statement shared by family at the time of Paul's death revealed the Lily Savage star had died 'unexpectedly but peacefully'. But after seven years, the station ran into difficulty. Born in Liverpool, her brother was fellow presenter Keith Chegwin, who died in 2017. During his career he has produced music albums, worked as a music journalist, presented on radio and also hosted TV shows on both Asian and mainstream channels! She also loves to travel, if she had it her way, she would be going away every month! Long also presented a show on Greatest Hits Radio, which paid tribute to her "illustrious career" and "significant role and contribution to broadcasting", adding she would be "greatly missed". Born Francis Ebo Cann, the popular radio presenter,. Im Veg, 58. 02 32 59 02 74. International: +33 2 32 59 02 74. If the online broadcast of Sunrise Radio doesn't start, or lags. Janice Long, best known as a presenter on BBC Radio 1, Radio 2 and Top of the Pops, has died aged 66 after a short illness. Asian radio station in the United Kingdom, The Radio Authority Pocket Book June 1992, "Sunrise Radio Named No.1 Commercial Asian Radio Station in London", "Sina Radio - London pirate radio history - AM/FM", "Sunrise pays tribute to UK pioneer of Asian radio", "From blaring bhangra to the new grime: 30 years of brilliant British Asian broadcasting", "Sunrise Radio retains London AM licence - Radio Today", "Sunrise Radio appoints new managing director", "Sunrise Radio announces Radio Presenters Academy", "Tony Lit on Sunrise Radio completing 30 years as the UK's No.1 commercial station", "Mayor launches plans for the London Mela 2005", "Asian Lifestyle Show 2005 - This summer's biggest lifestyle exhibition", "Sunrise Radio to sponsor Just Bollywood event", "The Pakistan Achievement Awards, UK & Europe", "Asian Media Awards 2014 Our nomination and full shortlists", "Sunrise Radio Is 2016 Radio Station of the Year", "Sunrise Radio Celebrate 30 Years with Win at AMA's", "Sunrise Radio picks up BAM's Station of the Year award", "Radio Station of the Year award for Sunrise Radio", List of radio stations in the United Kingdom, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sunrise_Radio&oldid=1114730395, Pirate radio stations in the United Kingdom, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Farah Ahmed ( Bollywood Top 20) named the, Sunrise Radio one of five shortlisted for the, Asian Media Awards Radio Station of the Year 2016 & 2017, Sunrise Radio scooped 'The AMA's Radio Station of the Year 2019' at the awards ceremony held in Manchester at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate in October 2019. Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time. They are expected to integrate into Western culture and leave their heritage behind, so for Sunrise to provide access to these roots is of paramount importance., Yet this rootedness in the immigrant experience also made young people shy away from stations like Sunrise. Former Radio 1 DJ and current Asian Network presenter Bobby Friction says he saw the station as something for the older generation. I give consent to Sunrise Radio to contact me via email and phone. An award-winning BBC radio presenter died as a result of complications from the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, a coroner has concluded. May 26, 2022 - 10:19AM It has been confirmed that TV presenter and infomercial host Erin Jayne Plummer died by suicide after a battle with mental illness. [1], Sunrise Radio started life as the pirate radio station Sina Radio, originally founded by Manjit Singh Gehdu and based in Southall, Middlesex from 1984 until 1988.[2][3][4]. Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning, 2023 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. Stephen Clements' cause of death is yet to be officially confirmed, after the radio presenter died at the age of 47. She also loves to travel, if she had it her way, she would be going away every month! He also has a fish tank with no fish! Their jingle is still stuck in my head a crowd of fans throng outside a signing with Sunrise Radio stars. In 2005, San-j Sanj returned to Club Asia and also launched his club night 2WiCE as SPiCE, this club night became the biggest weekly Bollywood club night in London, running for over two years. Warm tributes have been paid to the trailblazing radio DJ and regular Top of the Pops presenter Janice Long, who has died at the age of 66. Her family have paid tribute to the "loving, loyal and inspirational" wife and mother. Whilst juggling his DJ career, radio and events. Born in Hackney in the UK, Coleman won many fans and accolades during a long and varied career in both Australia and Britain. Long, host of BBC Radio Wales ' evening show since 2017, died at home . ", Another said: "So sorry to hear the sad news. He . Comedian and presenter. She currently plays for Surrey CCC and also has a degree in Economics. It was launched by Dr. Avtar Lit and filled a gaping hole for an Asian-specific broadcast media outlet in the UK. Rest in peace, you will be greatly missed x. Here are all the details of Le Vaudreuil available below. Sanj was headhunted in 2003 by the BBC Asian Network and worked on the chart show for 18 months. Katherine Davison / Celebrity / Updated 0 min ago. Mel Blanc was an American radio personality and voice actor. Sunrise Radio is a 24-hour commercial radio station, focusing on entertainment, music and news from the Indian subcontinent. Most populous nation: Should India rejoice or panic? 2023 My name is Darshan aka Gillie. As Sunrise Radio marks three decades on air, British Asian stars from Bobby Friction to Nabihah Iqbal open up about roots, racism and rebellion. I give consent to Sunrise Radio to contact me via email and phone. Listen to the internet radio of Sunrise Radio live, which was the first non-stop broadcasting commercial radio station for the South Asian diaspora in the UK. Edwina Bartholomew (Eddy) is a journalist with over 16 years experience working in Television and Radio. Long, host of BBC Radio Wales ' evening show since 2017, died at home . Died: July 10, 1989. Not resting on his laurels Sanj fulfilled one of his other dreams by going into music production, his first 12 inch single; titled Xzecutive, sold around 4000 copies on white label thus making Sanj (Xzecutive) the first ever Brit-Asian DJ to release a 12 inch single. There are obstacles that come from being a female DJ, and from being brown Throwing Shade AKA Nabihah Iqbal. But to the over three million British Asians living in the UK, independent radio stations such as Sunrise in London, Asian Sound in Manchester and Sabras in Leicester were a way of connecting to their fragmented communities. I would probably fail miserably to hold down, for more than a few months, a job that lacks this! From 1991 through until August 2004, the Sunrise Radio satellite feed was the source of the live hourly IRN news bulletins for numerous UK commercial, community and hospital radio stations. You don't get the same 'craic' here lol. Im Veg, 58. OK, Im going to pick one at random from the 50 million on my listDevdas (2002) For all the reasons it swooped numerous awards and more! We'd only just got a new house," he explained to the newspaper. I would probably fail miserably to hold down, for more than a few months, a job that lacks this! For the best part of 16 years, Natalie Barr has been an integral part of Sunrise bringing Australian audiences the latest breaking news and current affairs. In 1989, owned by Avtar Lit, it would be awarded a license and officially launched on 5 November 1989 becoming the first 24-hour radio station specifically for the Asian demographic. I am a business owner and I also do stand up comedy and currently performing in Mrs Kapoors Daughters Wedding. It would be suicide to put it on Radio 1 since it would alienate English listeners. Lit is more measured, but agrees that a hybrid service playing both Asian and English music would not work now people want something they know and trust., For Ghosh, there needs to be an amalgam: Weve got a really specific cultural heritage but were also part of a multicultural society. Im always classed as an Asian DJ and its sad but I sometimes have to use the fact that I dont always look Asian to get extra work, says Complexion. Stephen had shared a series of Instagram and Facebook posts just days before his death, including one on January 2 about stress. Talvin Singh got nominated for a Mercury prize and won it. It was launched byDr. Avtar Litand filled a gaping hole for an Asian-specific broadcast media outlet in the UK. Too many to mention but some of the most memorable ones have been Yaarana , Star , Disco Dancer and Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki ,Mahaan,Yeh Vaada Raha,Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil Chahta Hai coming of age, heartbreakingly good, Laung Da Lishkara (Original Punjabi Version), Biryani (extra hot!) It broadcasts to the Greater London area on 963/972 AM, on DAB (SDL National), and via the internet. 26 March 2022 6:03am The Global Media Alliance, owners of Happ FM, have announced the death of one of its top radio presenters, Dr Cann. Her daughter Blue said she "paved the way for me to have an incredible life. Popular Asian radio broadcaster, Maher Khan has passed away. I hope you rest easy xxx. As the first commercial Asian radio station in the UK, Sunrise Radio after 30 years continues to rule the market as the leading commercial station in the country.