Hes one of the reasons I went to Simeon. Boston College Eagles. I think what our team has shown is theres excellence in the hood. As far as the Class of 2024 and reclassification, Ian Jackson has been discussed but continues to say he isnt interested in reclassifying, despite taking summer classes that will allow him to do so if he chooses. Watching them all grow up as kids, seeing the hard work they have put in and to reach their dreams? Everybody thought that. Career highlights: Was a key sophomore reserve on the 2013 Simeon state championship team. Then there are the many untold stories of how he nurtured players. Varsity Boys Basketball. He didnt know it then, but his hardest transition would come years later when he went from playing basketball to coaching it. Ive got a great coaching staff around me, so there isnt much I can say that they havent heard, Norvell said. McDaniel, Hunter Washington Wizards guard Kendrick Nunn during a game against the Chicago Bulls on Feb. 26, 2023, at the United Center in Chicago. It was a valuable lesson., Simeon's Bobby Harris maneuvers under the basket against Chicago Vocational in a Chicago Public League game on Jan. 14, 2013. Played two seasons at Nebraska, where he averaged 6.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in 54 appearances. Hide/Show Additional Information For Tarris Reed Jr. Hide/Show Additional Information For Jackson Selvala, Hide/Show Additional Information For Will Tschetter, Hide/Show Additional Information For Cooper Smith. Marquette's Ed Morrow dunks against Central Arkansas at Fiserv Forum on Dec. 28, 2019, in Milwaukee. When you add whats left on Jabari Parkers contract with the Celtics, the four Simeon players will have just over $87 million owed to them over the next several years. Former Simeon basketball player Jaylon Tate works out at P.R.O. He played a lot, and he could really tickle you to irritation at times. And since the conclusion of the 2021-22 season, another one ending with Simeon winning a state trophy, the retirement thoughts intensified. He left behind a large community of people who loved him. [23], The Simeon girls' basketball team were Class AA and regional champions four times 200304, 200405, 200506, 200607. Career highlights: All-conference honorable mention Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference in 2020. Obviously, its all speculation and we dont know until we know but seems like that could mean something very positive. Smith evolved so much over the years. Smith would always provide perspective after losses. 2023 No. He is loyal and sincere. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-800-GAMBLER. This has been an extremely busy and, for some, very lucrative offseason for a bunch of former Illinois prep basketball products, especially for a trio of Simeon grads. One of those two spots has been popularly discussed it could be going to Class of 2024 commit Elliot Cadeau as a part of a reclassification to the 2023 class. (Phil Velasquez / Chicago Tribune). ESPN recruiting analysts Jeff Borzello and Paul Biancardi broke down UNCs class. Simeon Basketball Roster. Smith announced his retirement Thursday. You should know: Norvell hopes to play again after getting his degree in sports management from Gonzaga and recovering from knee surgery. By Michael OBrien Feb 18, 2022, 9:03pm PDT Glenbard Wests Bobby Durkin (33) shares his enthusiasm after dunking during the fourth quarter of the Hilltoppers win over Simeon. I had a great time, just being in the locker room with a handful of Hall of Famers. However, if Cadeau were to reclassify, then its a smaller lineup with him at the point guard position. He died the following day. International team records show he played professionally in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Austria. Chris Harry / Senior Writer. Scored the first basket in the history of Governors State, where he was on the athletic directors honor roll both semesters. [33] The day after his murder, then Chicago Mayor Harold Washington spoke to grieving students, denouncing gun violence in the city and promising a new gymnasium for the school, to be named in Wilson's honor. Howard, Phil WebSimeon Wolverines. There are still two remaining spots available to fill for the 2023-2024 season, but in my opinion, UNC basketball has clearly gotten better this off-season when it comes to talent and depth. But he still trains and plays basketball with his former Simeon teammates whenever theyre in town, including Parker, Nunn and Talen Horton-Tucker, an NBA player from Simeon who was five years behind the 2012-13 team. (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune). Fax. We are a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization competing at the highest levels in both Honestly, the older I got, I just always appreciated everybody has their own story, their own journey. Allen Cunningham/For the Sun-Times Abrams, Malcolm Full Bio. Began his career as an assistant under coach Bob Hambric. (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune), College: Governors State, East Los Angeles College. It motivates me, like, man I have to play hard. [21] Simeon has represented Chicago Public League football in the Chicago Prep Bowl for the years 1983, 1986, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2011, and 2012 while winning the Bowl[22] in 2013, 2016 and 2017. I still support my guys who are still playing. You should know: Coupet draws inspiration from other Simeon players who started in the G League and saw NBA action Nunn, Norvell and Talen Horton-Tucker. I loved every bit of it, he said. Simeon is well known in the Chicago area as a high school sports powerhouse. I feel so proud of them, Smith said. Follow us@KeepingItHeelon Twitter and like our fan page onFacebookfor continued coverage of UNC basketball news, updates, and recruiting. We all have one more year to enjoy it and to celebrate the most successful high school coach in state history. And honestly I like where I am right now because it makes me the best version of myself, and the sense of urgency is unlike any other because when you have your back against the wall, you have no other choice but to go up. WebNCAA First Four 2016-17 Men's Basketball Roster Go To Coaching Staff Print Roster Layout: Go Choose A Season: Go Sort By: Go Ad Blocker Detected Thanks for visiting daytonflyers.com! All the wins, success and talent at Simeon would often mask the substance that was there as a coach and as a program. The Celtics' upcoming series against the Sixers is the third time he's We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. Thomas said he appreciates the citys relative calm compared to Chicago and is still working toward a career as a professional basketball player. Whats next? Egwu, Jon Moline Maroons. Thats a great thing. Men's college basketball rosters: Comings and goings for 2023-24. Simeon Wolverines. 24 in the ESPN team rankings. I dont think anyone would have picked me to become a coach when I was at Simeon, he said. 49. 3d Jeff Borzello. But its still a trendsetter as it turns 50 this week. Finalist for Horizon League Sixth Man of the Year award in 2022. Transferred to DePaul to be close to home in winter of his 2020 season and played in 11 games. Tarris 12) Previous ranking: 6 Dan Hurley and his staff did their work early in the 2023 class, securing five commitments before the end of September. You should know: Worried that he would be lost among the sea of talent at Simeon, Pollard initially considered playing for less prestigious high schools where he would be practically assured of being among the stars. The Tar Heels currently have an offer out to Brady Dunlapand have been in contact with the no. Moline High School. You dont have any ego. Just ask the fine people of Pontiac how much they appreciate their adopted program each December at the prestigious holiday tournament. But there is going to be a huge void in our sport, a huge void in city and high school basketball.. Williams passes the ball against Central Michigan in Champaign on Dec.10, 2016. 7 overall player in the class and former Duke commit, Mackenzie Mgbako. And while he won and won bigger than anyone he never, ever was full of himself or took himself too seriously. WebThe cost of playing for Team Mass for the Spring season is around $220 for 5 tournaments which is about 15-20 games. After moves over the past month, analyst John Rothstein has updated his top 45 rankings to reflect those moves. As Brendan points out in his tweet, there are still two scholarships available. Former Simeon Career Academy basketball stars Jabari Parker, from left, Jaylon Tate and Kendall Pollard attend a game in Chicago as Simeon faces Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy at Simeon on Jan. 24, 2023. Cosby, Tracy We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. As the 2023 class winds down its high school year, the final class rankings have started to come out. (John J. Kim / Chicago Tribune). Illinois guard D.J. During the Ramblers improbable run in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, he hit a 3-pointer to defeat Miami. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Illinois Fighting Illini men's basketball, "Simeon's Electricity Program Reinstated", Chicago Sun-times, Strike suspended, so CPS football teams can play in state playoffs, All of the Public League football teams that qualified for the state playoffs endured a stressful, confusing two weeks, By Michael O'Brien@michaelsobrien Oct 31, 2019, 1:25pm CDT, "Institution Summary for Simeon Vocational High School", "Simeon Career Academy: Neal F. Simeon Bio", "Simeon Career Academy: Our School History", "Career & Technical Education Department (CTE)", "Powerhouse High Schools That Keep Making Pros", "Leroy Franklin, Longtime Simeon H.S. Earned his 500th career win in January. Performance Rating: level 1 Played for the Lakers and Golden State Warriors G League teams. Selvala, Will He had a meeting with coach Deion Sanders scheduled for 3 p.m. Monday until his phone buzzed with a text message from offensive line coach Bill OBoyle. I am one who has had the distinct privilege to be up close and personal with Smith and the inner workings of a program that few truly understand. Hill, Maverick As the 2023 class winds down its high school year, the final class rankings have started to come out. Its not very normal for such a high-profile program and its coach to be so revered. 31-4 Overall. [24] Led by Jabari Parker and Kendrick Nunn, they won the 2012 Illinois Class 4A championship by defeating Proviso East High School. Weve covered several UNC basketball decisions over the last month that have impacted the roster for next year, and beyond, in one way or another. Youre calm, so they understand that. But it always comes from them and their parents., He said it: On having his former players and coaches return for his 500th win: Even when I came here as a student, they always told us, This is always going to be your home. Hunter, Jay Former Simeon Career Academy basketball stars Jabari Parker, from left, Jaylon Tate and Kendall Pollard attend a game in Chicago as Simeon faces Gwendolyn Boys Basketball *Nathaniel Lloyd. 31-4 Overall. So I went. All Rights Reserved. Played his senior year at Oakland, where he averaged 25.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Bertrand, Ahmad Simeon's boys' basketball team was ranked first in the United States in ESPN H.S. Horton-Tucker and Nunn signed with the Lakers, teaming up with LeBron James and another former Chicago high school star, Anthony Davis. Birth date:September17, Siblings:Tamar Kirkland , Michael Kirkland, andChrissy Kirkland Nickname:Sim Men's college basketball rosters: Comings and goings for 2023-24. Former Simeon Career Academy basketball stars Jabari Parker, from left, Jaylon Tate and Kendall Pollard attend a game in Chicago as Simeon faces Gwendolyn Brooks College Preparatory Academy at Simeon on Jan. 24, 2023. But then coming into Simeon and seeing youve got Kendrick Nunn and Jabari, Russell Woods, Kendall Pollard, Rickey Norris, I could go on and on, those guys were just super talented and good. 3d Jeff Borzello. Considering Nunn averaged 15.3 points two years ago when he was the NBA Rookie of the Year runner-up and put up 14.6 points this past season, the Lakers signing of the lefty guard appears to be a free-agency steal. Career highlights: Was a key substitute as a sophomore on Simeons 2013 championship team. Christine Ledbetter: Why the loss of newspaper cultural critics hurts us as citizens, Cook County prosecutors take step to streamline evidence tracking in court system long plagued by delays. Boston College Eagles. UNCs class of Simeon Wilcher and Zayden High ranks No. (Terrence Antonio James / Chicago Tribune). Seeing guys like that, thats all the motivation I really need. Boston College Eagles. Career highlights: Member of the 2013 state championship team. Its pretty amazing. I would say I didnt find that until I was in my 20s., Gonzaga's Zach Norvell, right, and Florida State's Trent Forrest battle in a NCAA tournament West Region semifinal, March 28, 2019, in Anaheim, California. WebStay up to date with Moline Sports schedules, team rosters, photos, updates and more. 2022-23. Baseball Coach, To Retire", "The man who transformed high school baseball on the south side", "Former Simeon Football Coach Alvin Scott Featured in Documentary", "IHSA Boys Football All-Time Coaching Records", "Simeon halts Catholic League reign with OT victory", "Chicago_Prep_Bowl_Champions_1927_through_ 2017", Simeon's Dynasty continues with third straight 4A title, Boys hoops 4A final: Four certain: Simeon wins 4th straight state title, Winning Hoops, SEP 17, 2009, Legendary Chicago HS Coach Dies, Former Simeon Basketball Coach Bob Hambric Dies, aged 69, "Bob Hambric, 1939-2009: Winning Simeon basketball coach", "Simeon beats rival Morgan Park for city championship", "Chicago-area high school boys basketball rankings Dec. 4", "Simeon beats Orr, completes city title three-peat", "A Rising Star, Extinguished, in 1980s Chicago", "Simeon Career Academy retires No. Thousands of American workers are sickened or injured on the job every day. Simeon coach Robert Smith cheers his team on against Curie in 2018. The 6-5 guard who starred at Gonzaga has played in five NBA games all during the 2019-20 season with the Lakers and Warriors. More than anything, when the history of high school basketball and basketball in the city is written, Rob Smith will be considered the GOAT, said Slaughter. Boys Basketball *William Buford. [[Dont miss] Bound by basketball, friendship and grief: Simeons terrific 2013 state championship team, a decade later], Former Simeon basketball star Jabari Parker, left, works out in a gym on South Loomis Street in Chicago on Feb. 3, 2023. UNC transfer target Nicolas Timberlake committed to Kansas on Wednesday night, not helping matters among the Tar Heel fanbase. The last to wear it was Derrick Rose. Chicago State center Quron Davis, right, looks to pass as DePaul guard Eli Cain defends at Allstate Arena, Dec. 5, 2015, in Rosemont. Averaged 10.6 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.6 assists over three seasons at Illinois. For more information, please read our Legal Disclaimer. Thats a rare combination. Helped John A. Logan go 27-7 and earn an NJCAA Tournament berth in his second season. Parker is training himself in Chicago six days a week so that he is ready to play whenever the next opportunity comes. Because you can have distractions. Career highlights: Won two state championships with Simeon after transferring from De La Salle. In the decade since the Simeon boys basketball team won its fourth straight Class 4A state championship, coach Robert Smith and the 15 players on the state roster have branched off on different paths in basketball and life. Nunn, Austin Skokie pays out $875,000 in police excessive force case from 2013. Top commit: PG Stephon Castle (No. 2023 University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jaylon Tate, Hide/Show Additional Information For Joseph Bertrand, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ahmad Starks, Hide/Show Additional Information For Mike LaTulip, Hide/Show Additional Information For Aaron Cosby, Hide/Show Additional Information For Tracy Abrams, Hide/Show Additional Information For Malcolm Hill, Hide/Show Additional Information For Maverick Morgan, Hide/Show Additional Information For Rayvonte Rice, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kendrick Nunn, Hide/Show Additional Information For Austin Colbert, Hide/Show Additional Information For Nnanna Egwu, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jon Ekey, Hide/Show Additional Information For Darius Paul, Louisville, Ky. / Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass. (Shanna Madison / Chicago Tribune). [25], In 2013, Parker led them to another state championship when they defeated Stevenson High School. I just thought it was the best fit, sort of like Coach Hambric did for me.. He said it: Woods, in 2013, on his college-bound teammates: (Seeing) all of them strive to do good and signed to Division I scholarships, it made me hungry. He said it: The main goal was to try to get to the NBA. SAT Average: 889 You should know: Ivey transferred to East Los Angeles College to play basketball after one year at Governors State. Playing for Smith and Simeon absolutely means something to the players in this program, both present and past. Colleges: Illinois, George Washington, DePaul. And thats rare at most schools. He said it: I think Saieed (Ivey) would be proud to know that he has left such a big mark on the world., Adams State University assistant coach Rickey Norris, right, works a game in Alamosa, Colorado. Rice, Kendrick He will coach one more season a loaded team that is expected to contend for a state championship in 2023 and call it a career. The stands would be packed everywhere we went. Played with the G League teams for the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers and appeared in five NBA games in 2019-20. I feel like they went through it, got through it and got to where they wanted to go. You should know: Smith will retire from coaching after this season and will hand the reins over to assistant coach Tim Flowers. Hes been through all the trenches. He played eight seasons in the NBA and is currently a free agent. I get in there with everybody, all my guys that I grew up playing with, he said. April 20, 2023 7:48 pm ET. There is no additional information to display: Williams II, Isaiah Web Bell Schedule Calendar Mission Simeon Coaches Directory. David and Meredith Kaplan Men's Basketball Head Coach, Director of Player Personnel & Development, Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Olympic Sports, Hide/Show Additional Information For Dug McDaniel, Hide/Show Additional Information For Hunter Dickinson, Hide/Show Additional Information For Kobe Bufkin, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jaelin Llewellyn, Hide/Show Additional Information For Ian Burns, Hide/Show Additional Information For Terrance Williams II, Hide/Show Additional Information For Isaiah Barnes, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jett Howard, Hide/Show Additional Information For Joey Baker, Hide/Show Additional Information For Gregg Glenn III, Hide/Show Additional Information For Youssef Khayat, Hide/Show Additional Information For Jace Howard. Five players (Timberlake, Wojcik, Withers, Ryan, and Ingram) have visited campus and four of those have committed. April 20, 2023 7:48 pm ET. WebThe Bay State Magic is one of the premier boys AAU basketball programs in the northeast. No matter what, I wouldnt switch my life and what I went through with anybody. 75 in the class. [9], Simeon was founded in 1949, as Westcott Vocational High School in a building located at 8023 S. Normal Avenue, where it operated until the Kroger company donated a vacant warehouse (located at 8235 S. Vincennes Avenue) to the Chicago Public Schools in 1963. Sanderson, Chris Norris is now an assistant basketball coach at Adams State after coaching in the high school ranks. Norvell played last month for the Spurs Summer League team and will try to hook on with a team this fall. A shoutout from Chance the Rapper on Twitter during the 2018 NCAA Tournament even prompted Ingram to join the social media network. Because I know this time Ive got to stay sharp, stay in the gym and perfecting my game for that moment.. Career highlights: Was a 6-foot-9 reserve on two state championship teams who took pride in challenging Parker and Russell Woods in practice. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. School in Chicago, Illinois, United States. Gonzaga's Zach Norvell, right, and Florida State's Trent Forrest battle in a NCAA tournament West Region semifinal, March 28, 2019, in Anaheim, California. Hes also the only coach in the state with four active NBA players and a He understands the school. He traces his desire to see the world back to his freshman year, when the Simeon team traveled the United States Nevada, Texas, West Virginia, Massachusetts and Tennessee to play against the top high school teams in the country. Brittney Griner said after her first training camp practice with the Mercury on Sunday that she felt "so good" but understood there are still challenges, both mental and physical, that she'll have to navigate during the lead-up to the regular season. 2023 Board of Regents of the University of Michigan. Cadeau will be a 20-year-old freshman if he stays in the 2024 class, which could impact his draft stock hes stated he wants to be a one-and-done player but Players (14) Staff (9) Do you have a team photo? 3. His mother, Nafeesah, played basketball at Nebraska, and his father, Edward Sr., played football there. All picks and predictions are suggestions only. Student-Athletes 2013, Simeon is the first Chicago public school to win four consecutive basketball state titles, and the second statewide. 3d Jeff Borzello. Adams State University assistant coach Rickey Norris, right, works a game in Alamosa, Colorado. The school's name changed from "Vocational High School" to "Career Technical Academy" in September 1998. But hes also enjoying working as a student assistant with the Gonzaga mens basketball team and sees a career as a coach or an agent down the line. Simeon Wilcher finished at No. No matter the star or the team, there were never big numbers thrown up at Simeon by individual players. Los Angeles Lakers guard Talen Horton-Tucker, left, is defended by Chicago Bulls guard Zach LaVine during the second half of an NBA basketball game in Chicago. But to know him is to love him., Missouri's Russell Woods shoots a free throw against the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bud Walton Arena on Jan.14, 2017, in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Fitness and Sports Academy in Chicago on Jan. 31, 2023. (Dylan Buell/Getty). It was fun. You should know: When he was a senior, Woods told the Tribune that seeing several of his teammates commit to Division I schools made him want to work to play D-I after junior college. But I listened to my coaches and never gave them any trouble, so maybe that was a sign of what was to come.. 2023 No. We never took that for granted.. Opened in 1949, The school is named for African-American Chicago Public Schools educator and administrator Neal Ferdinand Simeon. Former Simeon basketball player Josh Thomas lives in Milwaukee, seen on Feb. 27, 2023, in they citys 3rd Ward near the Milwaukee Bay. Being able to travel like that, playing big-time games, playing on TV all the time, that prepared me for college and prepared me for my professional career for sure., Former Simeon basketball player Kendall Pollard with his son, Kyaire, at a gaming arcade in Orland Park on Feb. 3, 2023. Menu. These Simeon players join a list that includes past Wolverines Nick Anderson and Bobby Simmons as NBA players. Webimeon's 2011-12 basketball team has stirred up considerable excitement. He said it: When I was in grade school, I wanted to be like (Simeon graduate) Derrick Rose. Heck, there is hardly any bravado at all from a coach who could have shown a lot of it. During that time the Wolverines had 262 wins against 130 losses. Career highlights: In 19 seasons as Simeon head coach, has won six state titles and eight city titles. I think its a luxury that those two will be playing together, Smith said. After leaving Beasley, where we had a good elementary career, I thought I was pretty good. Simeon is a part of the Chicago Public Schools district. Simeon also has eight second place seasons. (Terrence Antonio James / Chicago Tribune). The 2011 MVP with the Bulls will have made just under $200 million at 35 when his contract expires in 2024. Head Coach: Littell White (Endicott College 15), 1st/4th season Assistant Coach: Lambros