Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. I, too, was a big Sharpstown customer on my arrival to Houston. Once you turn off of the major roads and get 2 blocks away the homes and streets are just lovely in many cases. How and when were the first mall constructed? It only worked for a very short while, the doors which opened up on the hour to reveal various scenes stopped opening soon after it was installed and it then became a huge ugly clock. At the time of its opening, the mall consisted of 43 stores on one level including the first suburban branch of the Houston-based Foley's department store chain, as well as the first suburban locations of Houston Trunk Factory, Battelstein's and Florsheim Shoes. [8] Also during this time, a third anchor in JCPenney was added as well as a food court in the former Battelstein's department store. It was like going back in time 15 years when you walked in the parts dept. Granted, I see the same thing at Memorial City Mall and Galleria malls, but I see a lot more people carrying bags of clothing, etc. Route 59 and Bellaire Boulevard. [21][22] The redevelopment into PlazAmericas was expected to create 500 jobs. As a publicity stunt, Sharp donated homes on Rowan That was the event that reshaped (and lay the groundwork for) much of the city (not just Sharpstown) for many years to come. Her response was, "that was your class?" Less than a week ago Food, however, did not live up tomore, This place is closet thing to the original knife cut noodle you will find in Houston. But it never got that far. 635 quarters was a lot! The alignment of the Southwest Freeway was changed to go through the middle of Sharpstown since Frank Sharp donated the right-of-way for the freeway. Sharp designed the community to have all urban amenities, including hospitals, the Houston Music Theater (still there), a university (HBU), and a country club (now Sharpstown Park). The mall likely stared to loose it's luster either before or when the last remodel happenedwhen they made it look retro or 50's style (which is ironic since in opened in teh early 60's). This was also known as the Gaylynn Terrace. Galleria was too upscale. The bid calls for the installation of four new left turn lanes; custom transit shelters, streetlights and traffic signals; landscaping in the medians and at the intersection's corners; and storm water drainage improvements. If they had demolished the whole parcel of land and built 1950s era type single family homes it would have been better than just have the area decline so much and attract stuff like gang activity and such. that much of the commercial properties and apartments could be bulldozed and redeveloped. In 1922, the J.C. Nichols Company of Missouri constructed the first shopping mall known as the Country Club Plaza. [5] While Sharpstown managed to gain back some shoppers after the addition of the Cineplex Odeon movie theater, Sharpstown would suffer its most significant blow within the decade. Bill Calderon, executive director of the Authority and TIRZ No. Get yours drizzled with a thick glaze of melted milk chocolate, stuffed with sticky dulce de leche, or transformed into a sundae topped with Blue Bell ice cream. As the Houston area grew rapidly over the next three decades, with Houston itself becoming the nation's fourth-largest city, numerous other developments throughout southwest Houston began to emerge. Faux wood over the walls, old glass cases to showcase things, and a 1987 calander of a woman in a bikini holding a fish. Powered by Invision Community. What is the first shopping mall in the world? To alleviate flooding along Fondren, Pittman said 36-inch and 42-inch drainage lines under Bellaire Boulevard will be replaced with 60-inch pipes, which will run west to a drainage ditch that runs parallel to Fondren. 713.777.1111 [email protected] 201 He started putting the quarters in his suit pockets, but they were heavy and overflowing so he was taking handfulls and handfulls and handfulls of quarters out of his pocket and tossing them on a table. Presently, no left turn is allowed from any of intersection's two adjoining streets. I lived in the sharpstown area for a while when I was younger though. The area is too convenient to 59 to remain in decline forever. With gas prices going as they areliving closer to the city is going to start to take on more and more of a premium. I had no idea Sharpstown was such an important development to Houston. Now those area awesome! Totally recommend this.". And loved going to God Father's Pizza in the same strip mall as Safeway. I still have some things I bought there and I have a T-whirt that I purchased there about 1 hour before a DEVO concert in 1982 at Cullen Auditorium at UH.Still have the ticket stub. 321. It was developed by Sharpstown Center, Inc., a subsidiary of Sharpstown Realty Company, headed by financier Frank Sharp. 61. I used to go there every week for asthma treatment. Sam Wisialowski, president of the Y'alls Texas Store chain, stated that sales were declining annually by about 25 to 30 percent at its Sharpstown store when the chain decided to close said store in 1990. Youll need to bring a small army to finish it all, but thats the best way to enjoy the ample servings of sauted beef tibs and spicy bowls of doro wat (and seemingly never-ending baskets of fresh injera bread) at this spacious restaurant. It will be managed by Matthew Lopez, an engineer with Cobb Fendley & Associates. By the way - in your email you indicated you thought I lived in Sharpstown Section 1 (Neff - Larkwood - Cannock). The mall's decline began as many of the nearby apartment complexes, once dominated by young professionals and single adults, became notorious as residential arrangements for low-income dwellers, which in turn resulted in an increase in criminal activity. The seven-member TIRZ No. There was a model shop/hobby shop on the second floor (kind of in the corner) that was the coolest place for a teenage boy to hang out in. I told her she really frightened me as a child and she said, "How else do you think I kept all those kids in line?" The period correct homes were mostly single story and anywhere from 1600-2200 sq ft. We have a few structures over 3000 sq ft. going up in this area. And, Strake and St. Agnes offer incredible educations. I would think that this area has reached this point as land values have to be attractive to land developers looking to make plays on its proximity to the galleria. Trust me. The Southwest Houston Redevelopment Authority announced Tuesday that a contractor will be selected from two bidders - Jerdon Construction of Stafford and Reytec Construction Resources Inc. of Houston - to complete intersection improvements at Bellaire Boulevard at Fondren Road. Don't remember what movies we saw there - I probably just fell asleep. We would go to the mall and hang out all day and play video games. The mall is known for its popular AMC Neshaminy 24, which is counted among the top theaters in North America. It was all quite forward-thinking in 1955 when the project was launched. It was built in Sharpstown Industrial Park Section 12.[3]. Share with us in the comments below! Patel said the intersection's safety aspects are compounded by Metro bus riders, who must cross Fondren or Bellaire on foot to change bus routes. Timbergrove and Meyerland? Man, Winchel's was the best! So here is my million dollar questionwhat is scaring off the developersdon't tell me the gangs, etcbecause I remember Midtown before it was "Midtown" and it was probably worse. I think some townhomes are being built now on the other side of the street from that house on the south side of Willowbend. These are the best restaurants for lunch near Houston, TX: People also liked: restaurants with outdoor seating, vegan friendly restaurants. The mall was two stories, featuring a food court. I *think* there were only two temporary buildings way back then. The unidentified man gained control of Adams' gun and shot the officer, Finner said. I really cringe when I hear people talking about how "bad" the Sharpstown area is. In 2006 the Houston Press alternative weekly newspaper awarded Sharpstown Center "Best Hip-hop Mall,"[13] and Sharpstown began to bill itself as "Houston's Premiere Urban Mall" on its website. [citation needed] Sharp would also place a time capsule in the cornerstone of the mall.[7]. Chumley also stated that the mall would cater to the Hispanic population (which now constituted 52% of the population of the mall's three-mile trade area), would undergo a $10 million renovation to boost its appeal to Hispanic shoppers, and would have 350 stores by the time renovations were completed. Guess it's closed now. that's my hoem turf--I'll see what I can come up with. It was rice fields and ranch land when Sharp bought it and subdivided it, and it was built to do what suburbs have always done: give middle income people an affordable place to live. In my research a couple of months ago I came across a story of the launch of a $32M development to be called Oak Forest (Press 5/21/46, p.1). 3. I grew up at Greenspoint Mall! Eastwood is leaning towards the higher end of the above mentioned price bracket so it may not provide competition for much longer. Sharpstown Mall was Houston's first enclosed mall and Houston's first air conditioned mall (opened 1961). Generous parrillada platters, crave-worthy, spicy salsas, and a quick-and-easy drive-thru have made the restaurant a dependable favorite in southwest Houston for They like to keep stuff spicy but there are some stuff that isn't spicy. Does anyone have photos of Sharpstown center in the 60's? [10][11], Consequently, customers even within the surrounding area were deterred, and major retailers who desired a low crime, middle class, and wealthy area for profitable support began to leave. These developments included countless new apartment complexes home to young professionals in Houston's energy industry, residential developments as far south as Missouri City, the construction of Houston Baptist University, Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital, numerous car dealerships, and a new studio complex for the city's NBC television affiliate, KPRC-TV and its sister radio station KPRC-AM. They have a parking lot available so you're always able tomore, The food was good. This spot used to be a James Coney Island, but its days of serving hot dogs are long over. Every weekend I drive past Pat Neff Elem. It was Houston's answer to New York's Levittown and was touted as the "World's largest residential development." Would go to Greenspoint everyday for lunch at the food court. Katharine Shilcutt Sharpstown. It is also difficult, for existing businesses to prosper in areas that have poor public infrastructures. 09/27/2021 [15], On December 28, 2007, Macy's announced that it would close its location in Sharpstown, the last remaining original anchor from the mall's 1961 opening. In 1988, the mall underwent a $65 million renovation which added a food court and a new entrance. The remains of the bank are three drive-throughs in the middle of the front parking lot that are still standing to this day. [12] In addition to the loss of businesses and customers to the Sugar Land area, further compounded by many big box retailers opening new locations in and around said area,[4] such aforementioned big box stores as well as discounters including Walmart and Target have grown on the loyalties of customers who used to frequent shopping malls. If the staff is reading this, the only change I'd make is to upgrade the bathroom. (You can imagine what we kids used to call it). Or, is the concentration in the neartown areas and the Heights (where I live) getting in the way? You will be able to leave a comment after signing in, Draloc, Inc. I still think Westbury is stealing Sharpstown's thunder by luring the entry level buyers that typically create a revival. Not dead enough? HOUSTON The Houston man arrested on terrorism charges pleaded not guilty to all counts against him after appearing in court Wednesday afternoon. She's still a little scary. WebBasically the Sharpstown mall used to be the most popular mall in Houston, regularly doing significantly more in sales than the Galleria. 4. 20 board will meet this month to reconsider those specific improvements. Cities occasionally need to make certain improvements to their infrastructures to help economic. Woah! The area is bounded by Bissonnet Street on the north, Bellaire Boulevard on the south, the Sam Houston Tollway on the west, and Dairy Ashford Road on the east. HOUSTON Do you remember the last time you went to your nearby shopping mall? As others have statedSharpstown Mall was the "hip" place to be in the 80's.very ecletcic and people would drive for miles just to be in that dynamic place. The city finally got started on work my uncle spear headed years ago by getting the TIRZ and PID implemented. If I remember correctly we had 635 graduates that year. Posted December 6, 2008. Go my first Honda from Gillman Honda when they were in the small showroom in the corner. She stopped and experienced a burst of nostalgia after hearing from a viewer post that some area of the property may have been demolished. Tom Estus, a shopping center broker of the Shelby/Estus Realty Group, said "It's a classic case of being passed up by newer, better malls. Fred Schiller, general partner of Arena Place, which encompasses two, 20-story office towers, the Arena Theatre and a nine-story parking garage at 7322, 7324 and 7326 Southwest Freeway, said the improvements will have a major impact. [21] Signs indicating the renaming appeared by January 29, 2010. Old "Sharp" himself may have even donated the land for this purphose ?? 8:00AM. You can still see the original 1955 plaque for the time capsule at Sharpstown Park at Bellaire and Mary Bates. Sharpstown Industrial Park Section 12 Block 24 (, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Mall Makeovers: Struggling malls revamping to boost business, Sharpstown Shopping Center: 50 years later, The fall of a mall / Sharpstown Center seized in foreclosure, "SHARPSTOWN CENTER EXPANSION - Adding the Second Level", Sales at Houston malls rise/Local retailers cite improving economy, shuttle flights, http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7085993, http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/txcn/houston/stories/khou090803_tnt_gulfton-ghetto-gang-crime.a50aff2e.html, J.C. Penney to shutter SW store / Site at Sharpstown 1 of 75 to be closed, REINVENTING SHARPSTOWN / HIP-HOP STYLES BRING MALL BACK IN FASHION / Sharpstown Center has lost major tenants over the years, but its hoping specialty stores and a lot of bling outshine what it calls an unfair reputation as a dangerous place to shop, Radio Station KPTY Party 104.9 FM "Houston's Hip-Hop Station" Grand Opening, Houston losing part of its retail history, Macy's to close its doors at Sharpstown Mall, Finger Furniture follows Macy's in exiting Sharpstown Mall, Sharpstown Center, in Chapter 11, for sale / `Major players' are said to be interested, Changes underway for once-popular local mall, Sharpstown Mall sells to investment group, "Sharpstown's PlazAmericas Has New Owner", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=PlazAmericas&oldid=1106903888, Articles with dead external links from August 2022, Articles needing cleanup from August 2022, Articles with bare URLs for citations from August 2022, All articles with bare URLs for citations, Articles covered by WikiProject Wikify from August 2022, All articles covered by WikiProject Wikify, Articles needing additional references from January 2010, All articles needing additional references, Infobox mapframe without OSM relation ID on Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from January 2010, Articles with unsourced statements from September 2011, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, "Latino City Jewelry Market" (177,229 square feet, first opened as, This page was last edited on 27 August 2022, at 02:37. I was looking for a car for my daughter and found this car on facebook market place. Dude across the street from us was huge--maybe 400 pounds- and only drove Mini Coopers. Dream Merchant - A Look Back at Houston's Weird Retail Past. Go my first Honda from Gillman Honda when they were in the small showroom in the corner. SL. Much of Bellaire's early boom was from people priced out of West U. I'm sure that isn't everybody, but a good share. Jones Fried Chicken wasserving spicychicken-and-rice long before the Halal Guys arrived in Houston. Two decades of growth have taken a family, who immigrated to America, from a small space in Sharpstown to a high-profile spot in The Galleria. [4] In addition to Foley's, Montgomery Ward also opened as an anchor, along with the Sharpstown State Banklater shuttered in the wake of the Sharpstown scandal which significantly involved Sharpstown developer Frank Sharp and many members of the Texas Legislature. Sharpstown's Gaylynn Theatre had more square footage in area per patron than any motion picture theatre in the world. The sign sums it up: You can get both here, though we prefer the former, whose skinny batons of dough are fried fresh to order, then coated in cinnamon-sugar. We used to eat at the Del Taco that's a sandwich shop now. Also, I have seen aerials of Sharpstown Mall in the 1960s in the Bob Bailey Collection. The mall has since been renovated and now includes a mix of retail, office, and residential space. I hear of how Sharpstown used to be a prominent middle-to-upper middle class area similar to such areas as Timbergrove and Meyerland back in the 60s and would be interested to hear of its history. (it was not on p.1 in the Chron.). By The Sharpstown area has changed a great deal over the decades since its creation, and those changes reflect the way Houston has continued to evolve, a city constantly in motion. Some people may feel that Sharpstown is a great area because it offers a variety of amenities and is relatively safe. [18] By January 11, 2008, Sharpstown was operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and was up for sale. Over the last two years, he's covered a wide range of topics, from politics and immigration to culture and the arts. Finner says the suspect had a sharp object and came at the officers, who then opened A city may undertake such a project through the creation of a Public Improvement, The Public Improvement District Assessment Act allows any city to levy and collect special. Sharp planned a large zone of high rise condos north of Sharpstown mall, but only 3 towers were built and there is still really nothing to compare to them outside of the loop and uptown. When I lived there beginning in 1969, Sharpstown had 3 sections referred to as Sharpstown 1 (Bintliff east area, Sutton Elem., Jane Long Jr. High), Sharpstown2 (Sandpiper to SW Freeway), and Sharpstown 3(West side of SW Freeway, Mary Bates area, Pat Neff Elem., Sharptown Jr. High. Ralph Bivins and Greg Hassell of the Houston Chronicle said that the mall's decline began in the late 1980s. assessments on property that is within the city or within the city's extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The temporaries are still there - but now there are a lot more of them. There was that big clock thing in the middle that was a time capsule. Grew up right behind the high school. Ok, the interior might be awesome but what about the food? During this time, Sharpstown Mall also had to compete with West Oaks Mall for customers out of Fort Bend County. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist. Did anybody see this article in the Chronicle last month? This isn't a slam on Sharpstown, a lot of great neighborhoods benefit from some level of default factor. Fans were also remembering the last time they visited a Thirstys. 1. When Sharpstown Center opened, it was located on the edge of Houston's southwest suburbs. The area includes the Jewelry Exchange Center, a ten-story building. Man, that would make a great movie! Because of its extensive retail space and a diverse selection of stores, the Galleria is an excellent place for Houstonians to shop. Originally the vision of developer Frank Sharp, who also created Oak Forest, construction of Sharpstown began in the mid '50s and was completed in 1961. Get highlights, trending news, and behind-the-scenes insights from Houston Public Media delivered to your inbox each week. They were new. It is home to a number of world-renowned museums as well as the countrys largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies. My dad's friend, Mr. San Miguel was the owner or manager there. Worked at the mall for many years, from the food court to sunglasses then jewelry it was the best time and great friends, said Tawanna Bateman. In 1999, the mall was sold to Simon Property Group. Don't know their names. The project's engineer, HNTB Architects Engineers Planners, estimated the outlined improvements would cost between $2.5-$3 million. http://oscarmail.net/photos/sharpstown_con_circa_1965.jpg, Also, check out these images of the corner of Bellaire and US 59, http://community.webshots.com/album/94213053YBeTbI, http://community.webshots.com/photo/942130049276982aNZCCZ. As 2000 dawned, a New York investment group named Sharpstown Center Associates owned the mall. **Please note** If you are already signed up for the newsletter, you do not need to sign up again. Motorists must proceed through the intersection and make a left or U-turn at the next break in the median, causing a backup in traffic flow. [17] Mere days after the Macy's announcement, on January 9, 2008, Finger Furniture announced that it would also be closing its Sharpstown location. First Colony clipped it the hardest. I remember watching a move called The Brother's O'Toole (with John Aston) in the family station wagon. By Her dad was a K-Mart manager. The Grandview Avenue Shopping Center in Ohio opened in 1928, followed by the Highland Park Shopping Village in Texas in 1931. Come on tell me? SHarpstown is still a great placequiet and with many original residents still there. on Carvel and turn left onto Waldo to Rowan Lane and I feel like it might was well be 1971 and I am walking home from 1st grade. Frank Sharp was concerned about easy transport between downtown Houston and his new neighborhood development, so he donated land to the state of Texas, which became the Southwest Freeway. They have perfect noodles, and perfect brot, trust me! Unfortunately I see bulldozers in it's future just like AstroWorld R.I.P. I would agree with the Valley Girl type reference in that it was a very hip teen place to hang out back then. The address for Sharpstown Mall is 7500 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77036. Who Is The Owner For Sharpstown Mall? Baker Katz, a Houston-based retail firm, purchased PlazAmericas Mall, a 850,000-square- foot shopping center in Houston. and help keep the future of the Houston Press, Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our. Do you think the Harwin strip contributed to its downfall? The Foley's was huge. [14] Further cementing its status amongst its newfound "urban" clientele, on October 20, 2007, local hip hop radio station KPTY, owned by Univision (whose studio complex is located near the Galleria), opened a broadcast studio called Studio 104.9 where the station broadcast on a regular basis. Because it was Houston's first air conditioned malla luxury given Houston's historically unpredictable weather, many Houston residents residing in the central part of the city wanted to experience the "mall of the future", hence the traffic concerns. The mall itself opened in 1975 with a two-story floorplan, anchored by Joske's on the west end and Sears on the east end, with the freeway frontage, and featured 60 stores and a food court, with its most notable architectural feature being an unconventional main entrance on the Bissonnet Street side of the mall; this entrance housed an elevator This is a review for restaurants near Houston, TX: "Doesn't look like much when you past it, but if you go inside, you'll be amazed with the interior. Web9307 Harwin Dr. Houston, TX 77036. The mall is located on the northwest corner of Interstate 69/U.S. The light has turned green for improvements aimed at increasing the Bellaire-Fondren intersection's safety, mobility, aesthetics and reducing flooding along Fondren. I have a photo of the Clock of Texas. During the heights of video arcadom, the mall had two of them, the one by JC Pennys and the on in the food court. A very eclectic mix. What are your best memories of Greenspoint Mall? Resources like these are made possible by the generosity of our community of donors, foundations, and corporate partners. Wow! I remember all that same stuff. [4][5] A 1970 Houston Chronicle article stated that Frank Sharp decided not to delay the opening; therefore the morale of Houstonians would be increased. A neighborhood staple since the area was anchored by the still-new Sharpstown Mall, this friendly taqueria has even retained the same colorful dcor over the decades. Route 59) through his development. The mall is located along Bellaire Boulevard (U.S. Route 90A) at Sharpstown Country Club Estates is a set of two sections in Sharpstown. [39] It was developed in the late 1950s by the Sharpstown expansion west of the Southwest Freeway by Frank Sharp. The neighborhood is next to the Sharpstown Golf Course and west of PlazAmericas (formerly Sharpstown Center and Sharpstown Mall). The service from both our server and the bartender were also really good. The place has changedand then againhas not.and that is good. Texas law, provides a number of ways to finance needed public improvements including the use of special, assessments. When it was first built in 1956, it was known as Gulfgate Shopping Center. I heard from a woman at my church that the owners are going to tear down and rebuild a larger home. I also could have been one of those kids standing at the clock, I have a good memory of that thing. I always made it a point to climb the side of the building when I got there. He was alway working on them in the driveway and about every 30 minutes you could hear him holler at his wife, "Etheeeeellllll! So did the Sinclair Station become an Arco? Maybe that's it? Sharpstown's downfall, had to do with its middle class neighborhoods that surrounded it deteriorating, and then the low rent, low class apartments that attracted the tens of thousands of ultra low income families, druggies, gangsters, etc. My parents lived in one of the townhomes on Gessner just before moving to one of the homes in the far west end of Sharpstown, CCT3. [10] Oshman's Sporting Goods closed its store in 1997, around the same time it opened a store in the nearby suburb of Stafford to serve the Sugar Land area that once frequented Sharpstown for retail business. We ended going the long way and noticed the neighborhood reminded us of Chicago.more. But I arrived right on the brink of change. If you'd like to sign up now, fill out the form below and we will add you as soon as we finish the transition. Posted September 13, 2004. haha Does anyone remember that radio control/model train/hobby shop that used to be on the 1st floor close to the Ward's? Location:Southern North America, United States, Texas, H-Town, Montrose, Lower Westheimer. Yes, the "Beatles" etching was on the Waldo side of the school. My Dad still lives there and our little pocket doesn't seem to have changed much at all. I could be completely wrong, but I'm just pondering out loud. PlazAmericas, formerly known as Sharpstown Mall and earlier Sharpstown Center, is a shopping mall located in the Sharpstown development in Greater Sharpstown, Houston, Texas. In high school, I worked at the K-Mart at 8150 Southwest Freeway across from the Channel 2 station. Your subscription will be migrated over. January 3, 2006 in Historic Houston. The question is.will it be good? Restaurant was chill.more, If you're looking for a truly exceptional dining experience, look no further than Lazy Dog! Lastlyfor curiousitywhat part of town are you building custom homes? On Wednesday's show: Four HPD officers dismissed in 2020 after shooting and killing Nicolas Chavez have been reinstated, the week in politics, and advice on preparing and filing your taxes. To be fair, Sharpstown Mall was about a mile east of the Alief boundary, but we still considered it ours, even if we shared it with the kids from Sharpstown. We were making a definite memory! What did people search for similar to restaurants near Houston, TX? I'm glad you asked, Cory, because I'd be interested to know myself. In answer to your question, old_sharpstown, I don't know what PID is, but I remember reading about TIRZ an article that was in Chronicle a few months ago and partially quoted here: Those costs will be financed through the (Sharpstown) Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. what is a challenging enemy in destiny 2, message from grandma in heaven,